The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have problems with the WON Titatanium Pro heat heaters?

I have a 300W heater 6 months old.

The tank is at 82 degress and the heater is on and at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a Pro Heater 300w, I find the dial about 12 degrees off, on the lower side but with my lights I almost don't need it.
I hope it doesn't give me troubel later though, as I paid almost 50 bucks for that thing.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Rob_Reef_Keeper said:
Any one have problems with the WON Titatanium Pro heat heaters?
Woooo Hooooo...

you need to search the archives for the MANY posts on problems with what seemed to be a good idea when they came out, but ended up being one of the worst products on the market in terms of quality control and reliability. Many problems with products that use inducted electronics as well as some of the electronic ballasts for lighting. See WON Titanium warning thread . A shame really, this was such a good idea, but the execution of the project has left MUCH to be desired.

my 2 cents US.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Crud I just bought one of these as I had never heard any negative. Its still boxed......Marine Depot is pretty good about taking stuff back I hear...think it would be smart to send it back in for an ebo before I ever use it?

Dave

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
****. What to use instead? It will be in my sump. The 14 inch element barely fits in my sump.

What do you recommend before I have stir fry?

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way the tank is a 58 with about 12 gallons in the sump.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Geoff said:
two words:

Ebo Jager

never had a problem with one. have had one for 15 yrs.
Ditto, excellent heaters, they have a much thicker glass and are double insulated. I have used others in the past, and have occasionally tried a few of the other brands on the market every few years, but I end up giving them away to folks in need (or use them to heat water changes up to tank temps). I do NOT use anything but the Ebo Jagers in any of the tank systems. Even the ones that had disclaimers on the packaging for submersibility have been watertight for at least 2 yerars now in a horizontal position under 10 inches of sump water. I know folks that have the Wons and have not had problems with them, but by the same token, they have been using them with controllers. This would prolly be a safety issue if you are stuck with them and cannot afford to replace them, but then again, how much does one coral specimen cost to replace???

JMO.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have had 2 EJ's go out on me. One 300W actually blew up in my acrylic sump, and cracked the bottom. The other just fried. I now use 3 350W Won titanium heaters (have been for 3 years). however I have them on my Medusa temp controller. I do agree that if you are using the heater without a temp controller the EJ's are more reliable, but with a temp controller, the Won's are much better because they have no glass to break.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
SawCJack00 said:
...without a temp controller the EJ's are more reliable, but with a temp controller, the Won's are much better because they have no glass to break.
Yeah, on this we agree, as I would love to have the titanium tube instead of glass. There are just too many folks that have fried their tanks with the WON heaters. If you use them, you MUST get a controller. Interesting threads on RC on this topic, do a search (heh, if you can get RC to come up...) for the WOn heaters there, much larger representation of both sides of the issue.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I use the won with no controler and hate it this thing is junk and not accurate at all,I will be switching to ebo J :)

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EBO Jagger has been ordered.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Rob_Reef_Keeper said:
EBO Jagger has been ordered.
I think you will be more than happy with them, although I would really like to get away from any glass in the sump (I have a large amount of rock in the sumps), these heaters have been the hands-down winner for many years and many heaters (I currently own 14, and all are in continuous use)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had a Won Pro for about 2 years and its still going strong.
It doesn't get used much (never) lately though as my MH's are keeping the tank around 84.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Regardless of EJ or WON heaters, IMO: a temp controller for insurance is a must.

While there have been successful stories on this thread about EJ they aren't perfect either. A buddy in our reefclub had an EJ stick in the on position and lost everything.

Just not willing to put my Livestock ( not to mention thousands of $$ ) at risk over a cheapy thermostat in a $30 heater.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts