The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and got myself a flood.

A minor one... about 3 gallons or whatever a standard RO Tank is.

When we moved a few months ago, my dad helped me disassemble the RO Unit and reinstall it. He didn't cut the RO tubing, which I think is necessary if you need to reconnect it into a part (if that makes sense.) Well a couple weeks back I found a connnection has sprung a leak and was spraying, causing a small mess. I shut off the water to the unit and pushed the tubing firmly into the connection and turned the supply back on and it was fixed (at least short term.) To combat the possibility that it would happen again I decided I would turn off the water supply when I wasn't around so the leak wouldn't happen again.

Well, like mentioned above, I woke up to water on the floor. Upon inspection, the reseviour tank was empty which made me to conclude that maybe the water backtracked to the site of the previous leak and triggered it again?

Does this sound right?

I think I may replace a few RO hoses, can these be purchased at Menards? I would do Filter Guys but this is kind of an asap situation.

The unit I am using is an Aqua-Safe Canada 75 G.P.D. RO/DI unit.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Not sure why you had a leak with the water turned off, but sounds like your theory would be right. If the point where water leaks is lower than the reservoir, it could backflow out like a display tank can empty into a sump with the return pump turned off. The tubes have to be cut flat to fit into a john guest fitting properly. That's the first thing I would check. I would also try to identify exactly where the leak was, it may not be where you thought it was.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would try to cut a few inches off the hose and reinstall. I think this happens sometimes when you remove and replace the hoses repeatedly. I use John Guests for my auto top-off and I remove and replace the hose every day/every other day depending on evaporation. When the hose isn't cooperating I just cut a little off and its fine. I've never had a leak.

Another thing to think about is maybe the quick connect is bad. I had an off brand (non John Guest) on my RO/DI and the shut off valve crapped out on me.

·
No frags for you!
948 Posts
Good luck finding the leak. As others said, try cutting just a bit off all the tubing ends and re-installing if you think it's a connection leak.

If you decide to replace them all, you can get the 1/8" tubing at menards - they sell it in rolls of several lengths and just cut them to size. It's not colored like some RO stuff but it's pretty cheap. Really no need for the colored stuff IMO.

One trick I found is to warm the tubing with a blow torch on as low as it will go to remove the "memory curves" from it being rolled up. They will go away after a while on their own but found the torch method works well to speed the process :). Just hold it a few inches from the flame (not directly in it) for only a second to warm it and then let it cool (you'll get the feel of it). You can run it under cold water to do it right away. Just don't melt the tubing or get close to the ends where you might make them out of round and not seal properly. Again - this isn't needed, just somthing I've done before that was useful.

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
or waking up and walking in the hall and feel this water on the floor and go see my 150 with about 2 inches of water in it :(

I hope you the best of luck fixing it quickly!!

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. I cut off a bit of a suspect hose and reinstalled. I'll keep a close eye on it and hopefully that is the fix.

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
Yeah that is what got me out of the hobby for about 4 years or so.
Nyles said:
If that happened to me I think I would need to get counseling, If I loose one thing I get a serious mix of feelings, mad/fustraited amongst the few. If I lost everything, I probably wouldn't restock.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Man Barry, when it rains it pours. I have had the guest fittings leak in the past and it was allways the tubing isn't seated right or as others stated, need to be timmed. Menards and Home depot both carry the 1/4" tubing. At Home depot it is in the isle by the toliet and sink repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts