The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I went to work yesterday my tank looked great, I got home from work and I was in a panic mode. The water had a cloudy look to it and everything was closed up. had a film on all the allot of the corals and clams. I was freaking out as to what happen, My ORP reads at about 459 to 470 all the time, It was at 310 for the first time ever. I had 20 gallons of salt water made up and did a water change. I'm thinking I have some kind of coral wars going on. Thats when I notice one of the skimmers not working. I pulled it out of the sump and the got the pump off and checked it in another room, and it didn't work, I was smelling a slight odor from the pump, not much. But later I found that the pump when I tested in the other room tripped the G.F.C.I.. I am not sure of the brand of pump. I think I will make some changes to all my tanks. No more Ph's or pumps in the sumps or tanks. I will do another large WC tonight when I get home. My ORP is back up to 415. I didn't get any pictures of the mess , That was the last thing on my mind at the time.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Glad you caught it and fixed it so quickly!

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I think that things will recover, I won't know until the lights come on and I can see. I am hoping thats all it was. I will know more tonight. But everything looks better. I never had a change take place so fast. I will update tonight when I get off and do another water change.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pump shorted out and release something into the tank. Thats the only thing I can think happen, It didn't melt the housing and I can't find the name on the pump that says RIO. it hads a sticker that reads Cap-2200 made in taiwan. the side hads a fish and reads beauty. I bet it is a Rio Pump. But I don't know for sure, The tag and that number looks like Rio's number

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I just recently switched out all of my submersible pumps for externals. I think it is just safer that way. Now I can sleep at night.

Jay

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
VWD said:
The pump shorted out and release something into the tank. Thats the only thing I can think happen, It didn't melt the housing and I can't find the name on the pump that says RIO. it hads a sticker that reads Cap-2200 made in taiwan. the side hads a fish and reads beauty. I bet it is a Rio Pump. But I don't know for sure, The tag and that number looks like Rio's number
Cap pumps are made by Commodity Axis, the same parent company as Taam Rio.

A wolf in sheep's clothing.

My experience with Rio meltdowns involved 100% + water changes (100% on the first day, another 10% the following day. Run some Kent Toxic Metal Sponge in a canister that you will temporarily hook up to the system, along with a bunch of carbon and PolyFilter. That should suck out any remaining nasties that those crappy pumps dump into the water.

Somewhere in the archives here is a post by me called, "Another Rio Meltdown" I don't think the pictures survived the server move a few years ago, but the gist of what happened is still there in text. I've still got a pic here of what happened back then... I'll post it here.

Jenn

Attachments

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I hope you solved all of the issues, and all of the animals recover.

WOW all of this stuff with the in the sump pumps I think I am going to consider a large change to the way my tank is plumbed. The last thing I want is to see something like that.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you cought it. I had a Rio needlewheel on my TurboFloater and it burned up, got really hot, drove up my system temp.

No more Rio's, but I still don't have the cash to replace my Seio's with Tunze yet. I like the idea that Tunze pumps run off of 12V though, if anything ever went wrong, there is allot less risk of shock.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 59 Posts