The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to wire up the 2 x 18w Retro kit for my 5.5 nano tank

For some reason I can't get it right

This is the ballast ( I have 2 1 for each PC bulb)

and this is the end cap

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should the wires into the endcap be left to right Blue, red, blue, red or
should it be blue, blue, red, red? I really have a hard time with the picture on the ballast and there is not a wiring diagram for this ballast on the fulham website that I could find

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
can you take a pic of the inside of the endcap. i am thinking that it does not matter as long as the colours match. ie- all the whites go to the blue and all of the blacks go to the red or vice versa. it is all based on coming and going voltages. as long as they do not cross you are fine. i will see if i can find a better wiring diagram. they are all the same, just the colours could be a bit different between manufaturers.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
looking at the wire diagram for an Advance ballast like that one, they both look the same. it looks like each bulb has its own coloured wire to it. you need to make sure which coloured wire goes to which pin on the bulb. the diagram is showing that both red wires go to the top half of the bulb and the two blue go to the lower half of the bulb. you need to figure out if the top half of the bulb uses the two wires coming out of the fixture, as in a black and a white wire. or if they wires are actually colour coded per each half of the bulb. both black wires go to the top half of the bulb and the white wires go to the lower half of the bulb. hopefully you can tell this just by taking out the bulb and looking into the socket. if not, do you have an ohm meeter? most volt meters have an ohm setting on them.

G~

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ballast has 2 red wires which George lenghtened with 14g black solid copper wire and 2 blue which are lengthed with the white wire (same type of wire)

Bottom of end cap if it helps

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ok, those pics helped. i am pretty sure hvacguy is correct. plus with a username like that i would bet he understands his wiring. :D i did not realize that the wires shown in the earlier pics were just pushins.

BTW- Welcome to TRT, hvacguy!!!

:wavey:

G~

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
hvacguy said:
From the diagram in the picture it should be red red blue blue. Good luck.
Umm you do not get to just sneak on in.

WELCOME TO TRT!!!!!!! :dance::banana::wavey:

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh no I have such Horrible manners :(
Of Course Welcome to TRT
and thanks a bunch for the info.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was lost with the whole hvac buy thing. Welcome to TRT HVACGUY!!

Any way you prob already have them lite but I looked at my PC and they are red red blue blue. So the two red wires connect to one tube and the two blue to the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts