1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=4>2 POWER-GLO -

</TD><TD>A-1624 "380mm (15"") - 14 watt" on 55gallon tank or

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I'll had a fish only tank for a year now and i been really successful maintaining it ,but i am ready to up upgrade to reef tank. i do have 4 turbo snails and emerald crab in the tank as well. I have a 55 gallon tank
top fin 60 carbon filter, rena filastar 3x filter cansiter, sea clone protein skimmer, andneed advice about the lighting, to swicth from my fish only lights.my fishes include 3 small carkii ,regal and sailfin tang and a white face surgeon . i am probably going to have to part with my carkii and maybe one tang to keep a reef tank? so which coral would be good for beginner? I read mushrooms are pretty easY? and iam missing more equipment? Also alittle acclimating advice would help. THX
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
for even soft corals I would say minniumum three watts per gallon of Pcs so thats a minimum of about 165 wats. Maybe a 250 Watt HQI metal Halide Pendant?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
jjstation said:
<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=4>2 POWER-GLO -

</TD><TD>A-1624 "380mm (15"") - 14 watt" on 55gallon tank or

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I'll had a fish only tank for a year now and i been really successful maintaining it ,but i am ready to up upgrade to reef tank. i do have 4 turbo snails and emerald crab in the tank as well. I have a 55 gallon tank
top fin 60 carbon filter, rena filastar 3x filter cansiter, sea clone protein skimmer, andneed advice about the lighting, to swicth from my fish only lights.my fishes include 3 small carkii ,regal and sailfin tang and a white face surgeon . i am probably going to have to part with my carkii and maybe one tang to keep a reef tank? so which coral would be good for beginner? I read mushrooms are pretty easY? and iam missing more equipment? Also alittle acclimating advice would help. THX
<!-- / message -->
Look into a VHO retro kit or at minimum some PC's for soft corals
Very few corals will do well long term under Normal out put fluorescents

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
doing a retro fit for the metal halide will be a lot cheaper. Buy yourself a 250w ballast and a 250w bulb and the socket and your all set. The ballast will cost you 50 dollars, the bulb is 50dollars and the socket at most is 20 dollars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
where a ballast for a 250w MH will cost $50.00, the cheaper i can see is 100+, the bulb will be $70.00 minimun, plus the reflector.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
A good guidline is three to five watts per gallon. execpt when dealing with t-5 lighting.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep go mh you will be happier in the long run. Agree even low light softies will not do well under normal florescents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts