The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just drove an hour each way with my 16 month old boy to Aquarium Showcase in Alpharetta to find out they aren't open on Monday's.

Then I go to Petco on the way back and I hear the salt water "expert" telling a lady after analysing her water, that she has a high level of Pneumonia....

Man Im dying for a good LFS up here...

Bill

·
Registered
637 Posts
Man, Bill I am sorry you drove all the way out there and they were closed! Man that sucks! I still got to get out to Jenn's place!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bill

Under the wave and petland is about the best in The Pleasant Hill and peachtree industrial area.....That isn't as far as aquarium showcase......

Just letting you know...

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah I know about those two. I have bought a TON of stuff from Under the Wave over the years. I just wanted to try something different.

But thanks for the info. Is Petland the one with all the birds in it?

Phish glad you got a kick out of that. If I wasn't so irked I probably would have fell on the floor laughing.

William, we will definitely get out to Jenn's store one of these days... We may have to borrow my brothers RV however to get down there ;)

Bill

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Billdemart said:
William, we will definitely get out to Jenn's store one of these days... We may have to borrow my brothers RV however to get down there ;)

Bill
:rolleyes: :funny:

Not MY fault you live in the middle of nowhere :funny:

BTW I'm closed Mondays too - and til 4 on Tuesdays - maintenances and errands and all that (no it's not a day OFF... )

With ANY shop, you'd be wise to give a call before you go - esp. the smaller family owned ones, sometimes things happen and shops aren't open when they should be. I know of another shop this happens to from time to time, and I got ripped one day because the customer had been to my place and another, and neither one was open during regular hours... me, I was at the airport, don't know about the other shop but stuff happens, so just call first and save yourself the grief :D

Pneumonia, eh? That's a new one on me.... I've heard some whoppers too... I love putting together scenarios with mispronounced reef terms....

"Well I think it was the pneumonia spike that killed my wrassie, or he didn't like the assitinic lights or maybe the hydrogen lights were too hot... " :confused:

:funny:

Jenn

·
Registered
474 Posts
The store with the birds is the Aviarium on the other side of the mall from Under the Wave. They have nice prices and usually pretty healthy livestock, if a little limited.

Petco is farther down Pleasant Hill (by that time you are in Fulton Co. and Pleasant Hill is called Statesbridge Rd) right before Medloch Bridge by the Home Depot and Target.

Petco has nice livestock, but are a little more pricey, especially for their LR. Also, their dry goods section is pretty sparse.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stanfill Reef said:

Petco is farther down Pleasant Hill (by that time you are in Fulton Co. and Pleasant Hill is called Statesbridge Rd) right before Medloch Bridge by the Home Depot and Target.
Stanfill-
Are you referring to Petland? I also enjoy shopping there if it is the same store you mention. They seem to have a good "nano sized" coral selection compared to the other LFS in the Northern areas.

The Aviarium has decent corals but they seem to be running a bit too large for nano's lately. I buy a good portion of my FW livestock there. They also have a nice Via Aqua nano display tank. Their previous display was a mini-bow that they apparently sold for around $1,000!

Under The Wave has added a couple of coral stock tanks in recent months after they did the store expansion. They still have not completely stocked them and from talking with the employees they are going to be carrying more corals.

Billdemart-
The Mall of Ga area would be a good place to open a high-end marine LFS. Not much competition up this way other than Petco.

Feeling entrepreneurial? :idea:

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah actually I would love to do it. I've been telling my wife I was going to do that for a long time....

:)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Not much competition up this way other than Petco.
Petco competition? If I had my way I would open right next to them and carry all the stuff they don't. Kinda like free advertising, they advertise you get the people who aren't happy with the selection or advice.

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty sure he meant Petland. Not Petco. But there are plenty of spaces up here to open a nice Reef store with plenty of traffic. This area is BOOMING.

Now how much money do we need Sammy? ;)

Bill

·
Registered
807 Posts
there is a Petco and Petsmart across the street from the MOG. But you're right no good reef store up here that I know of.

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Petsmart doesn't carry anything for marine tanks. Petco does but there stock sucks and they don't know anything about keeping marine tanks. They had one nice looking Gonipora in there the other day but it was like 45 bucks.

They have 2 small rocks with a few very small polyps on them and they are selling them for 30 bucks....

Closest decent store is Under the Wave by the Gwinett Mall.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Petsmart doesn't carry anything for marine tanks.
they have salt:D and flake and pellet food.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Petland in Duluth on Pleasant Hill usually has good stock. For you though I would think Under the wave or Aviarum. However I prefer Under the wave if I had a choice between the two. I will say that I buy my bulbs and new tanks from Aviarium. They sell the tanks cheap (55 gal for a sump about 80 bucks) and 50/50 CSL 55 Watt PCs for 32 bucks. ( I kept finding the same bulb for 50 bucks elsewhere near me). Petland in Duluth has awesome stock even if a bit pricey. Talk to Zane and he will mull over any decent offer, especially if you buy multiple specimens. The Petland in Dunwoody just got some new Clams in, and they look good. I have my eye on a squasmosa with a pretty green color for aobut 39 bucks.

Ray

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Billdemart said:

Now how much money do we need Sammy? ;)

Bill
You need very deep pockets and it helps to have a money tree in the back yard.

Jenn

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have any of you guys been to Aquatic Pets in Stockbridge? His livestock prices are pretty reasonable. You should check it out if you get a chance, but he is closed Sundays and Mondays.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts