The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I would say yes Angels are not reefsafe especially the ones that get big:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
:rolleyes: Well it's good to see that you are inquiring prior to purchase. I think... that I have engaged in this conversation with someone, at sometime. But then I am never too sure, but I would say, (personally) that THERE IS NO REEF SAFE ANGEL FISH Sorry Brad just could not let it go. :banana: :banana:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
so far i have not had a problem with my Genicanthus! it does not bother any of my inverts. i do see it pick something off the bottom of my LR on occasion, but can not see what it is. since it is on the bottom of the LR i am going to guess it is some kind of sponge. it eats anything else i put in the tank flake, mush, and nori. i have a Genicanthus melanospilos. it is a female. i have heard the same things about all of the Genicanthus genus. i have a clam, SPS, and some shrooms. all are untouched by the angel.

G~

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
If I recall most of the members of the Pomacanthus or Holocanthus(?) genus have sponges as a large part of there diet. Since most reefers that have paid for an cultivated the spectacular sponge species available, I doubt they want to use them for food. Hey its all food on the reef so it's not surprising that they sample other prized specimens. Obviously feeding them to the point of pigging out can lead to health issues as well as water quality problems.
Most can be trained to eat substitute foods in captivity but hey, if you have a choclate jones and you find a Snickers bar on the counter, are you going to walk away.
As always Caveat Emptor(jeez Spanks, did I quote that right?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts