The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the lfs a few days ago and got a pretty little turbo snail. I've noticed on it's shell there is coraline algae, will it spread to the tank or should I scrape it off and snail and add it around my tank? I'm a newbie with live rock so thanks for any input.

Oh and sorry for my noob-ness.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have live rock you will get coraline it just takes time. But yea, the coraline on the snail will spread even if left on his shell. But you said you have live rock. Normally when you receive live rock it looks like there is no coraline. It will come back and you will be wanting less instead of more.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
First, no need to feel noobish. We were all beginners and in ways all still learn.

I'd leave the algae on the shell. During the course of his travels, he'll likely rub and brush the shell against your rocks helping to seed that way. If you buy a piece of LR that has good growth, scrape that off in the tank.

However, you may not see much growth until your tank has cycled and matured a little as the expected algae and possible cyano blooms will outcompete the growing coralline

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
First, no need to feel noobish. We were all beginners and in ways all still learn.

I'd leave the algae on the shell. During the course of his travels, he'll likely rub and brush the shell against your rocks helping to seed that way. If you buy a piece of LR that has good growth, scrape that off in the tank.

However, you may not see much growth until your tank has cycled and matured a little as the expected algae and possible cyano blooms will outcompete the growing coralline
+1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My tank is cycled, I just recently got cured live rock (I've always had base rock) but have had fish in it for about 2 or 3 years. The tank is a 15 gallon.
I actually peeled a little bit off of his shell before I saw these, not all of it but a tiny bit and put it in my tank-the snail didn't even react I was really gentle (I didn't want to hurt him). I turned the filter off but I'm worried that when I turn it back on it will take the little coralline pieces away. How long will it take sprinkled coralline pieces to grow or develop (if they do)?

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Keep your alk, calcium and magnesium at proper levels. And do not use Purple Up!

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Purple up is not magic. It is merely calcium, with a little alk and magnesium thrown in. These are the elements you should be testing for and keeping in balance with water changes, 2-part solution, kalkwasser or whatever method you chose and is appropriate for your tank. If you drive your calcium to high, it will just precipitate out of your tank and throw the rest of your params out of whack. purple up's main incredient is aragonite... Yep, sand. Chances are you already have that. Many people report increased coraline from purple up, but mostly because they had low calcium levels to start with. If you do use purple up, regard it as a calcium supplement, and only use if you test calcium and dkh regularly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Purple up is not magic. It is merely calcium, with a little alk and magnesium thrown in. These are the elements you should be testing for and keeping in balance with water changes, 2-part solution, kalkwasser or whatever method you chose and is appropriate for your tank. If you drive your calcium to high, it will just precipitate out of your tank and throw the rest of your params out of whack. purple up's main incredient is aragonite... Yep, sand. Chances are you already have that. Many people report increased coraline from purple up, but mostly because they had low calcium levels to start with. If you do use purple up, regard it as a calcium supplement, and only use if you test calcium and dkh regularly.
Thanks. I think I'll buy a calcium supplement meant for increasing calcium levels.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I destroyed my Sps with purple tech. Didn't realize that it will test but doesn't actually dissolve. So my alk went up and calc plummeted. Lost about 20 Sps. I was dosing for some macro algae. It died too. I just use sachem buffer for alk and seachem liquid calcium and I have too much coralline. I have to razor the glass all the time

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
As said, if your tank parameters are stable the coralline will take off when any source of it is introduced to the tank. That said, most tanks are not stable enough to grow coralline until at least the 6 month mark in my experience. Just be patient. If your tank is ready adding that snail will start to spread coralline growth after a couple weeks of it being in there. If the coralline keeps it's color on the snail it should start growing within a few weeks. If it bleaches out and goes white, your tank just isn't ready yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As said, if your tank parameters are stable the coralline will take off when any source of it is introduced to the tank. That said, most tanks are not stable enough to grow coralline until at least the 6 month mark in my experience. Just be patient. If your tank is ready adding that snail will start to spread coralline growth after a couple weeks of it being in there. If the coralline keeps it's color on the snail it should start growing within a few weeks. If it bleaches out and goes white, your tank just isn't ready yet.
The tank is about 2 or 3 years, my parameters are stable-so I'm hoping the coralline will soon be sprouting!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thank you Helen! I get tired of people bdosing stuff just to grow alage :/

Let it take its course it will grow. If tank conditions are optimal it will spread like you've never seen.

Welcome to the reef tank:) no noob questionstions here. Just the ones that arnt asked. We've all been there

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Helen! I get tired of people bdosing stuff just to grow alage :/

Let it take its course it will grow. If tank conditions are optimal it will spread like you've never seen.

Welcome to the reef tank:) no noob questionstions here. Just the ones that arnt asked. We've all been there
:D Thanks! So many people are friendly on this forum! :hismiley:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts