The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This will be my first post here at the Reef Tank. I've been a member for a couple of weeks now, but I haven't really had any questions until now, because there is already so much useful information already here.<O:p</O:p

So I have 75 gal w/ 15 gal refug and 60 lbs of live rock. I just replaced the 4 VHOs with 4 T-5s w/ reflectors. Have an Urchin Pro Skimmer and some macro in the refug. It’s been set up now for about 2 months and my cycle is complete.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Yesterday I went back to my LFS and sold back my two yellow tail damsels. I purchased a mated pair of black clowns, a brittle star, and a bubble tip anemone.

My question is, can I get a mated pair of maroon clownfish too? I have come across a really good deal, and I would hate to pass it up if I can go ahead and get them. I'm not worried if I can't, but would love to have them.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!!<O:p</O:p

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
Well Welcome to TRT:wavey:

But unfortunately, different species of clownfish in the same tank don't do well together. And the maroons are very aggressive and territorial, I would suggest sticking with the clowns you have.

And I know this wasn't your question, but I wouldn't have put an anemone in the tank at 2 months, its still very unstable and not established. Anemones need high water quality and a stable envirnment. I would take the anemone back and have your lfs hold it for another 5 months at least so you can wait for your system to mature. Hope this all helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I will take the anenome back to the LFS so they can hold it. I really didn't think about that part. I appreciate it!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

I will take the anenome back to the LFS so they can hold it. I really didn't think about that part. I appreciate it!
Check out your parameters first on that nem... I know a lot of people disagree with me on this but especially with an easy species like e. quadricolor (bubbletip anemone) you may be ok with it in your tank. If you don't have high nitrates/nitrites/ammonia and all your other levels check out and you keep up on your water changes you may be fine. I got my huge LTA after 3 months of my tank being cycled and within a month it is extremely healthy and hasn't moved and hosts my 2 black saddleback clowns.

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
Check out your parameters first on that nem... I know a lot of people disagree with me on this but especially with an easy species like e. quadricolor (bubbletip anemone) you may be ok with it in your tank. If you don't have high nitrates/nitrites/ammonia and all your other levels check out and you keep up on your water changes you may be fine. I got my huge LTA after 3 months of my tank being cycled and within a month it is extremely healthy and hasn't moved and hosts my 2 black saddleback clowns.
In some cases it works, like your tank Alex, its probably very stable because of the size. But smaller tanks like mine have bacterial blooms and algae blooms(like right now), nitrite, and ammonia spikes if not maintained properly (not refering to my tank at all....lol). Anemones need stable envirnements....

I would still suggest taking it back. But everyone has had different experiences with their anemones, so I'll let you choose.:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I completely agree. I've had several successful BTA's in tanks far less than 6 months old. As long as your parameters are good and stable, no spiking, and you have sufficient light, the BTA has a good chance or at least a much BETTER chance than being held at most LFS.

The big LFS near me keeps their BTA/LTA/Rock nems under (2) VHO or T5's that are 36" from the surface of the water. They either have a quick turnaround on those or they just die off in the tank over a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts