The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! :beer:

I am wondering if I added a lawnmower blenny to my tank if he would be friendly with my yellow watchman goby. I really like the goby and I wouldnt want him to get bullied like when I had a blue damsel in there with him (I was lucky enough to catch him and give him away). I also have a pair of true perc clowns but they are sweethearts and keep to them selves and the magfloat they host in :rolleyes: .

The tank is 100g but I only have about 30lbs of live rock so far and there isnt as many hiding spots as there will be when I can afford all my lr. The goby has a cave he digs and hides in and there is also a couple other caves. All I have in the tank now is the 2 clowns, the yellow goby, a few hermits, a handfull of snails, and an emerald crab that I rarely see.

Eventually I want to do a reef but I have a long ways to go with the live rock, lighting, ect. The tank has only been up and running for 5 months and I am moving very slowly towards my goal but I think that is better than rushing it and making disasterous mistakes.

Sorry for running on so long. Thanks! :)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
in a heavily live rocked 100g id say it would be ok. but since you have very little rock id say it may turn deadly. blennies go after anything similiar to them, and with that little rock he will notice the goby fairly quickly.
im also concerned about adding live rock when you allready have inhabitants....i may be wrong but doesnt that cause another cycle to keep adding live rock little by little??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 100 gallon tank with tons of live rock. Had a yellow watchman in there for a few weeks before adding a lawnmower blenny. The lawnmower blenny has turned nasty and is now chasing my goby all over the tank. Luckily today I was able to trap the blenny in a shell and he is going back to the store. The blenny is a bit larger than the goby so this may be the issue I'm going to try a molly miller blenny that is much smaller and see how they do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts