The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel pretty much like an idiot right now.

I go to the local aquarium store and was just looking for some salt mix, I told them I had a nano with two clowns, they asked if I had an anemone and said no, then they told me, "Wow, your really missing out" so they showed me some really nice white & purple tip anemones.

They were $25 and seemed nice and healthy. I asked if they are easy to take care of they said sure, if you got some experience with corals, so DUH I got many thriving softies and a few LPS but not an anemone, so I was stupid enough to get one.

I did not know what it was called at the time, they didn't tell me, but then after research I found out it was a purple tip sebae anemone. After reading their requirements I was shocked. I don't nearly have enough light for this creature, I called literally the next day, and said if they would take it back, they said they told me it was not easy to take care of, but they did not, and they most certainly NEVER told me their light requirements are that of SPS corals. I mean I only got 36 watts of power compacts!!!

So I put the anemone on craiglist and no one wants him.

I'm 95% sure he is gonna die, I'm just not sure when, one of my clownfish can't get enough of my anemone, he hosted it the next day I got him.

I was wondering if clownfish will host a dead anemone? And how can I spot if an anemone has died so I can remove him before he pollutes everything in my nano.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
The nem will start to shrivel and the mouth will go from too open to turning inside out and expelling its nasty insides. Remove it before it deteriorates. Can you do a light mod?

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I remove it now? I don't want to do a light mod cause I want to get a larger aquarium soon, so I'm trying to save my money.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What kind of lights do you have? Dont you have softies?

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have softies and a LPS coral. I have all but 36 watts of power compacts and the tank is 17" tall.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
wow, i have more wattage than that on my nano freshwater tank. unfortunately you wont be able to keep the nem, but keep trying to give it away until you see the signs of death (gaping mouth, insides turned out, deflated) then promptly remove it and euthanize. When they die, they turn into a puddle of jello that can get blown around your tank. This happened to me. i have a 300 gallon and lost 2 finger leathers when my nem died. on a tank your size, it will surely nuke everything.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
To answer the original question… No, they will decompose and fall apart. Call the LFS and see if they will take it back for credit.

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But will a clownfish still go into the anenome if it has the signs of it's death. Should I prepare 15 gallons of saltwater just on case? I currently have 5 gallons.

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer the original question… No, they will decompose and fall apart. Call the LFS and see if they will take it back for credit.
I did that, THE NEXT DAY I BOUGHT IT, I told them can they please take it back, they told me that they don't know how bad my water is and all this junk, I told them I would be happy to bring a sample of my water they said they would cut my losses. Pesh...

They would not even give me $5!!! I would spend twice on just gas to get to their store.

They said "oh I'll talk to Steve" or something like that "and well call you back at three pm" they never did. Whatever, those people are idiots, never shop at Aquarium Depot in Roseville!!! All they care about is money not the costumer. This anenome deserves to live! Then again I'm an idiot for not doing research before buying something. It's like spending $30 on a $0.99 cleaner when those solicitors come to your door, I learned my lesson, DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING FOR AN AQUARIUM.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING FOR AN AQUARIUM.
A good practice that is not adhered to nearly often enough. we're all guilty of this at one time or another, just glad you wont be one of those people any longer.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much over it. The general public is duped into spending money on fresh & salt water fish that will never survive in the tanks they put them in. Even a goldfish or a betta needs RO/DI water (with adjusted Ph), good filtration & aeration and room to swim. A stagnant bowl will eventually kill the hardiest. Fish stores (not all, but in general) just want to make a buck. Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way...

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the only real way to learn a lesson so that it sticks, is to learn it the hard way.

Lesson learned... The hard way :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
is this a chain or just a local shop? I would start by calling and asking for a manager and explain that the sales clerk sold you on getting the nem and you were not even thinking of getting one when you came in, the clerk told you that if you had corals you could keep a nem and that they mentioned nothing of the lighting requiements.
If it's a chain store write their customer support email.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
is this a chain or just a local shop? I would start by calling and asking for a manager and explain that the sales clerk sold you on getting the nem and you were not even thinking of getting one when you came in, the clerk told you that if you had corals you could keep a nem and that they mentioned nothing of the lighting requiements.
If it's a chain store write their customer support email.

true, but as the person laying down the plastic, he has the final say, and should have done his research. no way to get around that fact.

·
Just a Fishy
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I know,
He sold me the anemone, that's his job, it's not to educate me. I should have asked more questions. Instead he said "Oh you got soft coral's? Yeah anemones will do just fine, just keep him away from your other corals or he might sting them."

This was my second time being in the store, the first time actually buying something, the clerk was probably like 17 anyways.

I do understand it was my fault, I just feel cheated. I don't think I'll be back in the store anytime soon, unless I know exactly what I'm looking for. Someone on craiglist is supposed to come by and buy the anemone.

Here is a pic of the anemone just if you wanted to see it, not sure how healthy it currently is, but it's definatly eating.

·
Registered
432 Posts
looks go to me, great picture as well!! How old is that clown?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts