The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife is not happy with the colors in the tank ( too much brown )

She wants color and not sure which way to go.

Looking at this but wanted some input and other suggestions.

Tank is 100g with a 48" CL 65wx4 lighting Medium flow about 80lbs - 100lbs LR 1" bed

3 clowns , 4 damsels , 3 chromis , Toadstool leather , Brown Xenia , 10 snails , 3 E. Crabs Brown green pylops.

Budget around $30-40

The Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian, a.k.a. Orange Finger or Sea Rod, is a beautiful and brightly colored sea fan that is the hardiest Gorgonian available to the aquarium hobbyist; it is also NOT poisonous. The Deep Sea Yellow Gorgo is bright yellow-orange with red calyces and long finger-like branches. These branches carry small white polyps that open up after it has become comfortable in the aquarium. These polyps are designed to catch plankton. The Deep Sea Yellow should be positioned in a strong flow of water.

The Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian can be floated in the bag for a half an hour, discard any water in the bag, then place the item directly into the tank. Or one can choose to drip acclimate the item.

Shipping note: this item is shipped in water only; without any air. <!-- specs -->

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I have 3 gorg and 1 red gorg...really nice....I really like the green star polyps...add alot of color fast growers.....also they make several sps that have color....just depending on what your looking for....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She likes color

I like color and movment ( like xenias but with color )

With SPS though i was under the impression that my lighting is not strong enough for a 24" Tank depth so i havnt been looking into SPS yet. Also heard they are harder to take care of.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I love my gargonian. It has white polyps that come out at night. Some say they dont live very long so this is my first attempt at them so far so good. For the budget I would look into some local reefers you will get much better deals. Or ebay for some zoo frags and other frags. Just make sure you go with someone with all positive feedback and been doing it a while. I want some dragon eyed zoos they are really nice. SPS really nead mh from what I have read so may want to stick with softies. Mushrooms are a great way of adding color. I have purple with blue stripes and green ricordias. I am thinking of getting some red shrooms soon. GSP is nice but recommend keeping it on sandbed or limited to one rock cause it will spread as mentioned earlier. Could also check with your lfs, mine has nano frags of hammers, torch, blasto, and others for $20. They are usually small but will grow with good feeding and care. Beats $50+.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have PC lighting on my 75g tank and I have 2 brain corals (a Scolymia and a Wellsi). Both are plump and happy. They add lots of color and motion too. And... my clowns love them as you can see.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The pictures posted of the "Blue-Eyed Girl" zoas are very similar to the ones in my tank, except mine have more of a Grey skirt than Brown.

There's lots of super bright coloured zoanthids that will add "Bamm" to your tank, just not much movement to them. Usually they will multiply fairly fast, so you might be able to get some frags of a few polyps each from someone in your local club and save you some $ instead of ordering online?

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
Yup, I usually pay for 4-5, I got some "Oregon Ducks" and they where 5 polyp, 1.5 months later there is at least 12-14.

here is a pic of mother colony.

Zoas are a cheap (most of them) way to get color, but the brain corals and others are much more entertaining to watch. They do need to be hand fed though.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
some of the shrooms have really bright orange/red color as well, that is what I have to BAM up my tank!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
i cant belive that noone has mentioned a sun coral ...

what is sweet about a sun coral is that they are not photosynthetic (dont need light to feed from). they do require a little extra care (feeding every other day). mine eat mysis like it is candy. this coral started out as about a 5 polyp frag (6 months ago).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts