The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got this mandarin two days ago and hes got this mucus all over him, it literally looks like spit, all over his body, mucusy, tiny bubbles, etc.... anyone know whats going on? im not sure if it was on him when i got him or not cause i had lights out and had to run so i just let him out of the bag and left....

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no because the only other fish in there is a damsel and i dont have my QT setup right now, he seems do be doing alright, and the stuff is just falling off him whenever he gets into the current, hes eating well and moving around the tank all day....

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my 10k lights just came on in the tank and he came out from the rocks, pretty much all of it is gone now from his body except a small string of it on his back, im starting to think maybe mandarins excrete some sorta mucus when scared cause he didnt have it when i looked at him at the LFS and now two days later its almost gone....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Mandarins can produce poisonous mucus as a defense mechanism if stressed. It also helps to prevent against marine ich. It was probably stressed out, and trying to protect itself. Once it acclimates it should be fine as long as it can find mollusks and other tiny live bits.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright cool, ive been looking up info on them all over the internet and i didnt see anything about that, but i guess my assumtion was right, thanks for that though, i didnt wanna loose him as the point of this tank, other than corals has been to have a pair of mandarins.... now, but mollusks? what exactly are you talking about? the tank has been sitting with just a damsel and LR for about six months, ive just been trying to give the pods a good chance to populate, and its worked cause when the actinics kick on at noon i see hundreds if not thousands of them scurrying around to hide... but anyways, i know ivce got a good pod population, but idk about mollusks? are we talkin clams and bivalves? scallops? idk....

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps, i was kinda worried that the damsel would have to go, but it seems they are just fascinated by eachother, could be cause the damsel has been alone in that tank for so long, but its cool....

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
just make sure you get a male and female mandarin other wise they will fight to the death.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts