The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to biuld a skimmer for my new tank. My old one just isn't cuttin the cheese anymore. I am not sold on recirculating types so I don't want to biuld one but I do want to be able to feed it raw tank water directly from the display. Even if only partialy. Wich design looks the best to you DIT skimmer gurus out there? Both skimmer bodies will be the same. 8" diameter by 24" tall. The olny difference in the two is that in #1 raw water is fed to the pump the shot to the skimmer and in #2 raw water is fed directly into the skimmer under the diffuser plate to then mingle with the pump water. I think feedin it through the pump first would be better but then again I am brain damaged so I leave it up to yall to make up my mind for me.

Attachments

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry the diagrams got messed up in the process some how but you get the picture I tink.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
#1 looks better to me but i still see some issues. ditch the diffuser plate, never run your water supply from the tank drain or your pump might burn up. just a few thoughts.

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the idea for the plate from lookin at a Bubble King in action. The plate really reduce the amount of turbulance in the skimmer body. I can alway desing it to be removeable anywho. I do not intend to run 100% of the display drainage into the skimmer, hence the valves. I was just going to divert a portion of the overflow directly into the skimmer feed. The skimmer would feed primarily from the sump. I am just toying with ideas on how to maximize the amount of "raw" water my skimmer gets it's grubby mits on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would place the intake pump for the skimmer next to the return.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Steven M said:
I would place the intake pump for the skimmer next to the return.

Can you elaborate on this? does it make a difference where the pump is?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts