The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed it every day, and I fed it 4 hours ago..

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Nobody's stealing the food are they? I have to watch my coral banded. Even tho I target feed he try's to rush in and steal it.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jenajet said:
Nobody's stealing the food are they? I have to watch my coral banded. Even tho I target feed he try's to rush in and steal it.

No one is stealing the food, I am feeding it mysis 2 times per day and phyto every other day.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fly Guy said:
I didnt know anything about them but i thought it was a beautiful coral so i just did a search on them.........
How long have you had him?????
I have had him for about 3 weeks and I botched the acclimation. He was fully extended when I purchesed him and he has not been more than half extended sinse I botch the acclimation.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Did a search and it said it could take a several weeks for it to fully adjust to new setting. It also recommended low to med flow as well as high but indirect lighting( whatever that means). Hopefully it just needs some time to adjust. I also read they are difficult to keep for long periods of time.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jenajet said:
Did a search and it said it could take a several weeks for it to fully adjust to new setting. It also recommended low to med flow as well as high but indirect lighting( whatever that means). Hopefully it just needs some time to adjust. I also read they are difficult to keep for long periods of time.
I had an orenge one years ago that I did well with. It lasted 2 years before a friend of mine killed it when I gave her my tank.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Goniopora don't have a long lifespan in captivity.

I can't see how 'botching acclimation' would have done anything - there isn't much acclimation to be done -float it for temp, and tank it. In general corals aren't as sensitive to acclimation as many would have you believe.

Goniopora sp. usually last 6-9 months in captivity. After about 6 months they start to recede/stop opening fully and by 9 months they're pretty much done.

Jenn

·
Registered
300 Posts
well, everyone just ruin my morning why don't ya... now I wish I'd done my research before buying my goniopora :(

one of these days I learn to quit taking the advice from the guy at the LFS.:doh:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I have heard that they sort of prefer "dirtier" water because they pull more out of it. Most people don't have luck with these corals, other people, barely look at theirs and it is flourishing. :) Good luck with yours, it is a beautiful coral!

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JennM said:
Goniopora don't have a long lifespan in captivity.

I can't see how 'botching acclimation' would have done anything - there isn't much acclimation to be done -float it for temp, and tank it. In general corals aren't as sensitive to acclimation as many would have you believe.

Goniopora sp. usually last 6-9 months in captivity. After about 6 months they start to recede/stop opening fully and by 9 months they're pretty much done.

Jenn

I had one for over 2 years.

In regards to the acclimation I asked the LFS owner what his SG was and he said 1.025 and mine was at 1.024 at the time so I didn't do alot of dripping. After seeing how poorly it did after getting to my tank, I decided to test the LFS owners water for SG and it tested out at 1.017. Thus i realized that i should take my own advice and no beleive what they say.

·
Registered
524 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
Thus i realized that i should take my own advice and no beleive what they say.
I hear that...I bring a refract. with me to the LFS and test for myself.

Good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I always test the bagged water in anything I bring home. Both for salinity and alkalinity. Does that seem like overkill?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whatevva said:
I always test the bagged water in anything I bring home. Both for salinity and alkalinity. Does that seem like overkill?

No

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by whatevva
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

No<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Thanx...I sometimes feel like the "Alkalinity Nazi" :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts