The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ph is at 8.5 - 8.6 testing with Hanna hi PH, TDS, temp meter. The meter is supposed to be very percise, PH had been stable (8.3) since tank set up (four and half months now). Had gone through diatom bloom four weeks ago has completly cleared. Now seems some possibly hair algea is blooming, have started using phos ban in reactor. My concern is why the pH swing up? My meter had shown 8.3 and LFS tested same water at 8.0 I calibrated meter with hanna calibration solution still my results were 8.3 LFS uses regeant solution for PH not sure about their accuracy. If their API tests are accurate and my meter is not that would mean my PH is possibly now at 8.3 and my Hanna meter is still off. ALK - 8, nitrate - 0, salinity - 1.024, calcium - 460

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I trust the calibrated meters over the reagent solutions, but I have had issues with pH probes not calibrating correctly. That could be the issue, but I am not sure. Are you dosing anything? When are you testing the pH in regards to you lighting cycle? For me it is tough to get my pH above 8.2, even with kalk dosing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just started dosing for Alk and calc it was at 9 now down to 8 so I wanted to keep it at 9 if possibe. I have dosed calc slowly over time to bring up to 460 I use IO salt. I test every few days when I get home from work between 5:00 and 6:00 lights have been on for 5 hrs at this point. I thought about using Kalk but can't seem to figure a good way to incorperate using it with my top off system. dosing with britewell aquatics system code A & B

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Moving a solution from your home to the LFS will skew the results. It's not surprising the solution went from 8.3 to more acidic. Smaller volume different atmospheric condition. I would trust your PH meter. PH can rise for many reasons - did you use newly mixed saltwater ha,ha,ha inside joke (but possibly true).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read that thread, but it was at 8.5 before 10% water change this past weekend. Water that I had mixed for 48 hrs with PH of 8.3.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have not read much on anyone having issues with PH over 8.3 only issues with it lower. Buffers can help raise PH are there buffers available to lower PH I would think it would not be good to use a product like PH down for hydroponics would it.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
The dosing could be keeping it up there. What is you salinity? Keeping Alk and Ca at higher levels but at a lower salinity can do funny things to tank chemistry.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Also, do you have a lot of good ventilation with you tank (in you home or what not) as if your home is drafty enough and does not capture CO2, this could really affect you pH with using a buffer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
2600 sq. ft. home with central air I do not think anymore drafty than most homes. I don't typicaly run the ceiling fans where the tank is located. I do use a fan on my sump to control temp. (77 degrees) Salinity 1.024 Thanks for all the help, will this higher PH cause issues or should I not be concerened unless the PH keeps increasing. Is there a high PH point were I should be seriously concerened?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
If the house is really well insulated it can trap CO2 causing a drop in pH... it happens a lot up north in the winter. It could be reversed for you but I doubt it now. I wouldnt think that pH as high as 8.4 would not be a problem for as long as it is stable... just avoid drastic swings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts