The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Sexy Shrimp
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question says it all. I know that mysis shrimp is decent nutrition for our fish, but why do I hear the PE Mysis mentioned much more then others? I've always used the Ocean Nutrition brand with great results, but is there something that PE adds to their brand that makes it more appetizing or nutritious to our livestock? If so, I would want to know, as I want to give my fish the most nutritious and varied diet as possible. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The explaination I have always heard is PE mysis is a freshwater species so has no salt. Ocean Nutrition is a marine or coastal area mysis so has salts in the mysis. Marine fish must dispose of excess salts during respiration and excretion or they actually drown internally, something to do with osmotic pressure differences? I am sure someone will have a better explaination of how they breathe etc.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just from using different brands I find the pe mysis are bigger, and seem to be packed better. 1 cube of pe is like 2 cubes of cheaper brands. Although I do like ocean nutrition brand foods, don't think my LFS carries the O.N. frozen mysis. I also find the pe to be cleaner, as far as rinsing goes. After thawing regular brands the water is murky until rinsed where as the pe really doesn't need to be rinsed at all. I believe also the pe mysis has been gut loaded (fed lots of good stuff) and so offer a bit better nutrition. It all may be hype but I do think pe mysis is a higher quality frozen food and the price reflects it.

·
The Sexy Shrimp
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've noticed cloudiness with some Mysis brands, but I have yet to have cloudy water wit Ocean Nutrition. I kinda like the smaller mysis, it makes it easier for the smaller fish to eat. (I got some random brand of mysis from my lfs a few weeks ago cause I ran out and it was the only brand they had left. They mysis was so large that my candy hogfish couldn't swallow it!) But from what I understand about the saltwater vs freshwater organisms, it does have to do with differences in salinities (not sure if this is called osmotic pressure). Saltwater organisms have a lower salinity inside their bodies then the water around them, and vice versa for freshwater organisms. I don't know how this would really effect the nutrition of the mysis, as the fish already have to export salt from their bodies in the form of water they drink. I don't think the amount of salt consumed in their food would be an issue, since most fish pick at pods or algae throughout the day. I could be wrong though, that's why I asked the question. I've read that they have naturally high levels of Omega 3 and fatty acids, but wouldn't any mysis (Well, I should say if it's frozen differently). Is it the different species that makes it more nutritious? I know that many people regard them as high marine quality food, as do I. I just want to know why it's different from other higher brands of mysis on the market and why, other then they are freshwater and they are larger. Or is that the answer in itself?. Anywho, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The question says it all. I know that mysis shrimp is decent nutrition for our fish, but why do I hear the PE Mysis mentioned much more then others? I've always used the Ocean Nutrition brand with great results, but is there something that PE adds to their brand that makes it more appetizing or nutritious to our livestock? If so, I would want to know, as I want to give my fish the most nutritious and varied diet as possible. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My name is Dan and I'm the owner of Willowsreef aquatic foods and the reason is pe has 64% protein and high crud fat I use them in my reef blend I am also a dealer and you need to wash most foods there nasty. in my blend I wash with or water and add brine mysis pe mysis sushi grade seaweed garlic oil that I make and probiotics some it's some good stuff

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The explaination I have always heard is PE mysis is a freshwater species so has no salt. Ocean Nutrition is a marine or coastal area mysis so has salts in the mysis. Marine fish must dispose of excess salts during respiration and excretion or they actually drown internally, something to do with osmotic pressure differences? I am sure someone will have a better explaination of how they breathe etc.
This is a big part of it. Saltwater fish spend a fair amount of resources purging salt from there bodies. Any little bit of food that contains a bit of moisture made up of freshwater basically gives them a bit of a leg up in this regard. Aside from this they are somewhat nutritious as well but no more so than any other brand of mysis. I also know that the PE mysis is 100% sustainable while other brands may or may not be (I really don't know. )

Look up osmoregulation.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
No that is why mysis is used not why every one uses pe pe mysis is 64% portion that's why pe the brand is used
First of all, I find it hard to understand what you are saying most of the time with your writing form. It may just be me as I'm older and find many young persons writing to be challenging occasionally.
That being said, if you ARE a professional, then maybe you need some more education on foods.
Protein levels are NOT the main reason for selecting the mysis, or for that matter, any other food for marine fish as protein is not necessarily their main need.
Many of the mysis shrimp are rated at 69.5% protein (DW), not just PE. (yes, my packs say 69.5% not 64%)
Even frozen brine shrimp (from great salt lakes) will run high 50 to 69% for protein. (DW not WW)
*see table 4.4.1 in Artemia at http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/w3732e/w3732e00.htm
Nutrient comparisons are often difficult because some packaging lists the product by dry weight whereas many others rate according to wet weight.
However, mysis have the edge over artemia with lipids so they are slightly better for your fish.
Some choose PE because they believe it to be augmented for DHA that marine fish have need of (I don't see evidence of DHA enhanced on my packages though), while others choose it because of the size of the mysis compared on average to what is sold in other brands. Occasionally one has no choice as all that may be available is one brand or another.
I personally find that most times, the PE mysis packages contain a much larger portion of complete animals rather than chopped bits or exoskeletons.
However, for the earlier portion of my seahorse offspring's lives I have to use Hikari flat packs because of the smaller size being more readily accepted by the growing seahorses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts