The Reef Tank banner

Why is ammonia not budging???

645 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  PhaneSoul 
#1 ·
I have had this annoying "ammonia spike" of 0.25ppm for a week now maybe a little over a week and I have treated with zeolite crystals (which claim to remove ammonia), Prime to detox the ammonia, Stability to boost my bio filter and done 12 gals of water changes. (i have a 20gal long). The **** tank still reads at 0.25!!!! Everything in my tank is thriving though. My 2 clowns, Trumpet coral, Duncan, Zoas, and Hermits.

I feel there is no way that my tank really does have this consistent spike for this long with all of these treatments. To my knowledge I should have seen some sign of improvement by now. What do y'all think? I think my ammonia test is malfunctioning.

#5 ·
google this

api always shows .25

they are good for showing big changes like a large dead fish in the rocks. its great biologically that you doubted the test after taking the recourse, that was right unless there are unstated factors at play. per google, its prob just to low end for the test to read correctly, or our eyes sometimes dont tell the diff between light green yellow etc

an even better doubt is that none of the treatments were needed, and they werent harmful either. api causes the most unneeded tank actions of any kit known to mankind. I have jumped in reef cycling threads that were going on 5 months :) only to tell them their tank was ready on day 1 because they used arrive alive wet pack fiji pink sand and purple coralline aged live rock.

this was a neat example of biology being more reliable for your needs than test kits. ammonia hardly occurs in cycled tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.