The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I should share this story so others don't make the mistake. I have a very small snowflake that was to go in the 90. From research and other threads I was pretty sure he couldn't eat any of my fish because they were all alot bigger than his head. Well this morning I am admiring my scooter who was grazing on some mysis when that *bleep* eel came up and grabbed him by the tail! I reached in and thumped it on the head and he let go. My scooter was scared to death but otherwise okay. So out came the buckets, pulled water from the tank, put in the rock and corals and then fished out the eel. Dropped him in the 90, too soon I know but my scooter means more to me than that guy. Sand was ls from bags that I rinsed and lr and water came from existing systems so he should be fine. So in short: just because he can't swallow it hole doesn't mean it won't try.:doh:

·
Super Moderator
27,079 Posts
Oh no, Jena! Thanks for sharing that experience. Good that you were able to save Scooter.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes It could have been very bad if I hadn't been right there. I was able to pop the eel before he did any damage. Scooter is fine now and out and about again. Don't let anyone say an eel won't eat anything it can't fit in its mouth. The scooter is twice as wide as the eel but he was able to get the tail. Maybe he was just tasting cause when I feed him he grabs it and thrashes the thing. With the scooter he just bit down on the tail and sat there until I thumped him. Think back now that probably wasn't too bright either cause he could very well have let go and gone for my fingers. But all is well and the eel is in his 90. Appears quite happy with all that open space.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I try to stay away from those guys! Glad you were there when this happened!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he was meant to be in the 90. The pod was never going to be permanent. I got him for a really good price cause the lfs I sometimes use got it in as item not ordered and they did not want it. I had heard and read they only try to eat what will fit in their mouth. NOT!

·
Registered
363 Posts
jenajet said:
Well he was meant to be in the 90. The pod was never going to be permanent. I got him for a really good price cause the lfs I sometimes use got it in as item not ordered and they did not want it. I had heard and read they only try to eat what will fit in their mouth. NOT!

Generally, Snowflakes behave with fish, if kept well fed, however, I have heard of a snowflake eel eating a 5 inch Foxface Lo.......

I know mine has an attitude well feeding, I saw him go after a Trigger at the LFS.....

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well he's definately well fed. As I said before I think it was just a taste. When he feeds he goes nuts thrashing and twisting and that didn't happen. Maybe he just wanted to test me. Anyway he has been removed from temptation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts