The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had coral banded, peppermint, blood red, cleaner, and the sexy anomone shrimp. Currently the blood Red and my largest coral banded are being kept. The minute that I saw my first shrimp(peppermint) I thought only the most advanced aquariust might even try to house these beautiful creatures. Now, many years from my starting, I have realized that these animals are great confidence builders for the beginning aquariust. I also know that breeding these animals is very difficult. That is why I am going to attempt it, for I love a challenge. It gives me great satisfaction to hand feed my blood red as it crawls over my hand in search of more food. I know it is just a natural response to it cleaning tendencies but i like to pretend it is not just that. I would like to help these animals from being WC and would appreciate any futher help on constructing a Kriesel.

·
Registered
430 Posts
wow.. good luck! I love my shrimp also.. I noticed my peppermint shrimp have really grown in the last three weeks! I was amazed how big two of them were.. they came out when I put new fish in.. I also have a beautiful fire/blood shrimo who hides a lot, but I hope it comes out more. Maybe should try hand feeding like you do. :)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
How do they all get along. I have heard of the CBs bullying the other shrimp. I like shrimp too and I am wondering what a safe level of them in the tank is before you get ground battles.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That is one thing my tank is lacking, a good shrimp. I think I'm going to use the LFS gift certificate I just got for my birthday and buy one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know for certain not to put a coral banded in a 30 gal with peppermint shrimp unless you like your shrimp at the top of your tank 24/7. Yeah hand feeding my shrimp is awsome and I have done it will all kinds including a peppermint. Yes, shrimp do taste good, i imagine that is why they are preyed upon...I said nothing bubba go back to cleaning and lookin purty.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Shrimps have great personalities, they are fun to watch specialy at feeding time.
Everyone who comes up to my office always say something about eating my shrimp and clams. It is getting old.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe you should have them hand feed the shrimp, thereby getting people in your office to understand what is so special about shrimp. throw in a name for good measure so that they humanize this wonderful creature and i bet they will reduce there consuming tendencies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts