The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How come chalices aren't recommended as a low light coral? I have seen pictures of the this coral online, trt, reef club site, and different reefs. Due to the coloring always assumed they are very light demanding. But upon looking around www.liveaquaria.com and searching google of chalice light requirements I came to a trt link that a member informed they like moderate flow and low light demanding.

the trt thread I am referring to: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/chalice-coral-what-do-they-love-111118.html

The statement from trt member I am referring to

I keep them under Moderate flow and moderate to low light.
Flyguy also stated

Thats about it. Although when I say low light that means I have mine as far away as I can get it from myh 250 w MH without beign in the shade. You also want to give them some space as they can send out some pretty good sweepers

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Everyone had a opinion based on their experiance and setup

I have and have had many. If I put them anywhere but in the shade in my tank they bleach out completely.

TRT itself does not recommend ANY corals/livestock/equipment etc. Rather suggestions and experience from the melting pot of members.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
To answer your question.
Color has nothing to do with light requirements.
Rather the amount of zoax and a corals ability to photosynthesize

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question is mainly asking how come chalices aren't recommend as a low light coral. Reason I ask this I have searched around for low light corals via google, and including trt search engine and chalices were never recommended. I am referring to myself and other members that have asked for recommendations for low light corals. Also when I stated trt . was not referring to the forum in general just the general public that responds to post.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question.
Color has nothing to do with light requirements.
Rather the amount of zoax and a corals ability to photosynthesize
I totally agree with you Ckusnierek. The reason I mention color is due to my searchs alot of time the bright corals that I look at in awe to want I find out they are very light demanding. Also due to the look of chalices I thought lps...don't screw with it via the pictures I have seen. Including the fact Ckusnierek on the times I have asked for request on possible corals via the light Chalices were never mentioned.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Ok so the reason they aren't mention is due to the pricing involved?
I think the stament is rather odd, Chris is one member of many members, Chris may not like them and feel they are over priced. So no I don't think that is the answer.

I think the answers may lay in the fact allot of people don't keep them. So they don't recommend them like other corals

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I've never had experience with chalice, so I won't recommend or discourage them.

I personally don't like the look of them. Colorful yes; but I'm not a big fan of encrusting corals. I've never done any in depth research, so I don't know their specific requirements; assumed by their morphology, I would fathom to guess low to moderate light. As stated, color is not indicative to a corals light demand. ;)

If you want to start suggesting them, that's your prerogative. That's what TRT is about. Sharing experience. :)

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thank you for the replys. So when it comes down to it they are not recommend due to it isn't a commonly kept coral...thank you all trt for the quick and speedy response.

·
Making Waves
207 Posts
That may not be entirely true. A LFS by me in Daytona Beach has a nice steady supply of chalice and I usually see them towards the bottom in corners under MH or under the actinics in the frag tank. Some of the guys in the shop claim their chalice grows upwards of 1/4-1/2" every month. Chalice may be dependant on local supply and demand...If you demand it, your LFS may supply it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i think they are widely kept especially during "the greta chalice craze", but i dont really understand your question, what i get is this... your asking why they are not recommended... and you have a question about lighting for them... the 1 i do have is on my sand bed in in direct light it you will. i know im not helping any but I really dont understand what ur getting at

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Maybe because they are not well known??? Your guess is as good as mine dragonist;)

Perhaps this will be the thread that sparks the rebirth of the chalice craze:funny:

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
You can start recommending them. :) I don't typically even think about them, I have one I won in a raffle but I don't really ever look at it. I tend to not be big fans of encrusting corals. If I I was going for an encrusting coral I would tend to look more at some of the encrusting montis.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts