The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in local fish stores.

Just your thoughts on why LFS can keep saltwater fish alive. I just want to see your options vs. what I know working at a fish store.

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
can or cant ??

they care for the $ $ signs.

get it out of the door quickest.. = $ in pocket.

keeping it longer, you need to feed, etc I assume some start cutting corners to maximize profit and stuffing more of the same fish in the tank, in case one dies, still can cover it with a sale.

FastFish720 said:
...in local fish stores.

Just your thoughts on why LFS can keep saltwater fish alive. I just want to see your options vs. what I know working at a fish store.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To comment on that it doesn't really matter if the fish dies in the store since the store is refunded whatever they lose. That also applies to a fish on warranty that they sell.

Keeping it longer doesn't always cost very much. Consider how much food it eats, not very much, and consider that they buy in gross for cheap.

The big bucks, well if the fish dies they get refunded so that just means 1 less fish that they didn't get to mark up. So it's like they didn't have the fish in the first place.

Not trying to shut you down or anything just giving an answer.

·
RRVAC member
209 Posts
FastFish720 said:
To comment on that it doesn't really matter if the fish dies in the store since the store is refunded whatever they lose. That also applies to a fish on warranty that they sell.

Keeping it longer doesn't always cost very much. Consider how much food it eats, not very much, and consider that they buy in gross for cheap.

The big bucks, well if the fish dies they get refunded so that just means 1 less fish that they didn't get to mark up. So it's like they didn't have the fish in the first place.

Not trying to shut you down or anything just giving an answer.
i know you work at petsmart and all, so you know how that store works, but i really don't think the non-chain stores work like that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thier fish die for alot of reasons,
1. LFS has no Idea how to care for the fish
2. overbuy and let'em die
3. thier tanks are in a constant state of infection due to the constant influx of stressed animals.
4. they got tiny holding tanks with no room to relax for the fish.
5. they just don't care
6. they buy cyanide caught fish
7. they buy from bad wholesalers (see number six for example)
8. fish are products not living creatures and should be treated so
9. lfs hires Idiots without proper knowledge of care of animals
10. they just don't care, they just don't care, they just don't care

HTH,
Toy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.