The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
never heard of this but im still new to hobby my lfs told me i could just take it home and do my change.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Here is an answer from IO's website. http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantOcean/InstantAnswers/FAQ.aspx?id=1388&cid=36&cnm=Sea+Salt

Q: What is the proper way to mix salt water?
A: Always add the salt mix to the water, not the other way around. Adding water to the salt mix briefly creates a highly concentrated solution that can lead to precipitation of some ingredients.
Always allow newly mixed salt water to circulate with a powerhead or airstone at least overnight before use. This allows the carbon dioxide in the aquarium water to reach equilibrium with the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which normalizes pH. It also adds oxygen.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an answer from IO's website. http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantOcean/InstantAnswers/FAQ.aspx?id=1388&cid=36&cnm=Sea+Salt

Q: What is the proper way to mix salt water?
A: Always add the salt mix to the water, not the other way around. Adding water to the salt mix briefly creates a highly concentrated solution that can lead to precipitation of some ingredients.
Always allow newly mixed salt water to circulate with a powerhead or airstone at least overnight before use. This allows the carbon dioxide in the aquarium water to reach equilibrium with the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which normalizes pH. It also adds oxygen.
Another question, so is it fine that im using RC without any corals but i will be adding the corals in 3-6 months.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Using Reef Crystals is fine but it's really not worth the extra expense.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I get my water from jadinop as a matter of fact.the price varies from store to store around here but his shop only charges a $1 for premixed saltwater.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the 2 new clowns you posted about in another thread and a firefish in a 20g tall.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Wont using the RC help prepare my water quality when i do introduce the corals.
Not much. Are you testing your water for Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium? Do you know if the Reef Crystals is giving you the levels that you want?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts