The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 35 gallon bowfront up, running and stocked over the past 3 months and I have to say, I feel like a crackhead when I walk into my LFS. I'm already planning on a 55. I have daydreams of all the different combinations out there. What works, what doesn't. Who becomes long time friends, and who would kill eachother while im at work. Or what the hell my pistol shrimp is firing for in the middle of the night. My recent surf trip to puerto rico only added fuel to the fire. This hobby is dangerous. I'm hooked for life. I look forward to hearing all your input. Hi, my name is Jeff....and im a reefaholic.

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
ya 55 are pretty useless....as far as housing fish.....cant get much more in there than you can in your current tank...

i would deff go with at least a 75/90......but once you get intot he 6ft tanks....125-180 youll have more than enuff room for lots of stuff....

ya this is deff a very ADDICTIVE hobby....i started out like you...a 30g witha few fish...then a few months later i went to my current 75g mixed reef and now i have a 90g sitting here waitin to be filled!! LOL

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Hi Jeff...LOL

Yeah.. seriously, skip the 55 and step right on up to the big plate and go with a 6' tank.. 125, 135, 150, 180...and up and up and up... you can only do so much with a 4' (unless we are talking 4x3 or 4x4 cube style) tank and I have already been through the same progression as you... I started with a 55 and went to a 75, now i'm up to a 135...If we ever buy another house (plan on having the next one built as well) I am designing an area that is more conducive of a larger deeper tank, Either something that is viewable on all 4 sides (i really hate scraping glass though) or something like an 8'x30"x20-24" tank...

·
Administrator
47,203 Posts
If your willing to go with a 75 , stop and think,90 has same footprint, just more room for critters to swimm and play:fish:
Compare the cost for a few extra inches in height, then price a 120 (4x2x2) if you are staying with a 4' tank that's what I would choose if I did it again

·
Registered
174 Posts
i started with a 10 gallon, its like crack, all i want is more i cant stop buying stuff for my tank or leave it alone, i mess with it all day, when i go to bed.. i tthink of things i can do to make it better, thinks of questions

·
Registered
788 Posts
It is addicting my husband is i guess getting the contact high hes just build more to my stand so i could have the skimmer i wanted we go in thes store and he has to look at all the fish too and show me. tells me spend whatever u want its your tank but then will stop as he walks threw a room to watch and if something is differnt wants me to come look lol. i just went from a 26g bowfront to the one im puting up now at 75g. i was gonna go bigger but for the tank/sump/overflow and plumbing got an awsome deal price wise. i had to clean it but i didnt have to buy new. so that may determine what size u get to weather someone near u has one for sale cheaper and bigger lol. but the more room u have the more u wanna put stuff in it. lol
good luck and welcome im sure like the rest of us ur in it for a long time. lol

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Yeah do the 6 foot tank, if you like tangs, 4 feets not enough for them. Or you can just add hunreds of nano fish to it. I'm building a 225 now and the closer I get to being done with it the less it looks big enough.

·
Registered
788 Posts
i think it will always be that way i was looking in the tank i have as i cleaned it wondering if it was big enough. It is for the room we have but the guy i got it from replaced this one with a 120 and i want his lol nice tank. Just think how big u might wanna go look at the tanks and just buy the one u think youll be happy with if u even think u might go bigger best to do it now lol

·
Ummm... yeah.
538 Posts
Agree, bigger is nicer. 55... hmm... seems as though I used my old 55 for a SUMP, until it sprung a leak and replaced it with a 75.

Oh, and... Hi Jeff and welcome to the weekly meetings.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I plan on moving to puerto rico soon (huge chiller bills!!!) so im upgrading to a tank i can ship comfortably. Im sure there are even people who care for the Long Beach Aquarium Reef that would just like their tank a "little bigger." Im guessing it never stops. Luckily here in california people are upgrading/downgrading or sadly, getting out of the hobby because of the economy, so there are really good deals on craigslist.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts