The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I have a pair of maroon clowns, male is about 2" and female is around 3". They are both living in a 12" bubble tip that is placed in the middle of my tank on a big piece of LR. nem is about 4" from the bottom (lowest point of nem) and my clowns not knowing why keep cleaning the bottom of my tank just under that LR where nem is. By cleaning I mean that they move all the sand out of the way exactly under the rock where my nem is. No matter how many times and how much sand I push back there they move it straight away. They are causing some serious sand storms covering some of my corals with sand!!! Even my peacock mantis is annoyed as I've seen him moving the sand back there few times :eek:

Any idea why are they doing this? Nem is nowhere near the sand and it's not touching it at all. Before I moved them to new tank I had them in malu anemone and after that in elegance coral (both placed on the sand) and they have been doing same thing - that's why I moved them and nem is now high of the sand. Sand is being moved to the bare bottom and around 5" away from that LR in each direction so I've a big patch of bare bottom there that I don't like.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
clown fish spawn by glueing eggs to a hard surface in a spiral pattern. they tend to sweep away the sand to get down to rock(the bottom of the tank in our case). stop moving the sand back for a bit and watch and see if they lay eggs.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do know that but I didn't thought they will lay eggs on bottom. My LR with nem is placed against overflow box so nem is basicly touching it. There's more than enough of surface for them to lay eggs there and is much closer to where they are. Why bottom? they have been doing it for few months now (in both tanks) but no eggs yet. I gave up on moving sand back in my old tank for like 2 or 3 moths and they didn't laid any eggs so why are they keep doing this? Is it possible that they do it cos they are getting ready to lay some? why is it taking so long? Thanks

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
not sure. I have had them just like to move sand even when they are alone with no chance of reproduction. I am not sure if this is something they do in the wild to keep their area clear of debris. They usually move sand out in a dish shape for a place to sleep as well. No one really knows, but i can say they won't stop. It is just something you will have to deal with. Or move things around? maybe move the nem up off the sand?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as I said my nem is 4" away from sand (lowest point of nem) and that's as high as I can go in my shallow reef tank. Clowns are staying in nem all the time so I don't think they are cleaning space to have somewhere to sleep. I'm thinking about making plateu (???????) sand bed and place it there so there's no way for them to move it. I normally try to keep my tank healthy and not looking preaty - if fish, mantis, crabs etc want to change something I do let them as long as they are happy with it. This time I won't because they are uncovering bottom of my overflow box and It looks extremelly bad as I was not going easy on glue and silicone when I was building my tank...
I just need to figure something out to fix this. moving my nem is out of the question as that's the spot she likes and she will always go back there (did it twice already killing few corals on the way)
Thanks for help anyway

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
my maroon clown did the saaaame thing. maybe you can get a little piece of flat plastic, GLUE sand to it, and put it at that spot under the sand, so that when they move all the sand out of the way it still LOOKS sandy LOL!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my maroon clown did the saaaame thing. maybe you can get a little piece of flat plastic, GLUE sand to it, and put it at that spot under the sand, so that when they move all the sand out of the way it still LOOKS sandy LOL!!
that's what I meant by "plateu bed" or however it's called lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts