The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I moved all the water and Live Rock from my 110 gal to my 165. The 110 did the full shrimp/cycle with nitrites spike, then nitrates spike and was ready for a water change. I had it sitting waiting to be used in the 165. It was about 75g of water that was fine (ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, PH-8.2) on the params except the Nitrates were at the lowest on the chart. So 75g of that water and the rest of fresh. I also added 20 lbs of DRY sand and 20 lbs of LIVE sand. I just got the salt on the mark today at 1.025 and ran a test a few mins ago. I got:

Ammonia - .25
Nitrites - 2 ppm
Nitrates - 20ppm
P.H. - 8.4

Could all this be from the live sand adding new mini cycle? I had plans to go get my first fish Friday now it looks like a vacation day is taken for nothing :(. Any help is appreciated. TIA:cry:

·
Administrator
46,687 Posts
How much cured live rock is in the system? and what test kits are you using to measure ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rock is about 125lbs. I made an eel tube out of PVC and Portland cement too but that's not live and why my ph is on the high side. I'm using the API test kit (iirc that's what it is). I have my build thread, let me link that it will explain more than I can on my phone.

Made it easier and put it in my sig.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cycled my tank with 60lbs of live sand with 60lbs of live rock, I added more sand after the cycle and let it sit for 5 days and BAM ready to go, when you add the live sand it created the mini cycle that I experienced too, it will go away and you should be good to go by friday

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I'd test it every other day. Just don't waste to many tests.
*on a side note wonkey is my new word*

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
The pH is from the cement, most likely, and the cycle should be on the quick side since you already have a lot of bacteria, they multiply very fast..

I have had a few API test kits and they expire while they are still almost full. so I think you may be ok with using it everyday. I think after a cycle I only use it a few times a year at the most...

·
Administrator
46,687 Posts
If your rock is from the old tank and pretty well established the spike should pass pretty quickly

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, thats good. I'm just hoping its wonkey cause it still hasnt fully settled. If you look at the tank from the front its clear, however if you look from the side you can still see its a bit hazy. I'll test tomorrow before I head to the LFS and if its still high, I'll keep the new fish in my 30.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
Sounds like a plan Quick! (fish in 30 if still reading amonia).
Even though your LR is established, all the sand is new.
The system is new. I'd be cautious of how sensitive a fish
I'd be eyeballing at the LFS candy store.

For the murky water I personally would be aggressive with carbon
for a week to month, PLUS the use of 50-100 micron felt. It will
polish water, but will plug rapidly when debris abounds, 3 days,
remove, hose out, rinse well, back in. or dry and keep
for next time.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4353&pcatid=4353
It's chemically pure and resists bleaching to sanitize.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah carbon for sure, but where would I get the micron filter from.....I dont remember seeing one at my lfs, however these guys finally got some good fish in today. To bad they have ich issues at the store and were only empty for 2 weeks instead of 8.

:doh: Oh hey look...another blonde moment, you supplied me with a link!

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
No blonde moment. The link is tight against the bottom of the pic, sorry.
I blast mine with the garden hose on stream, uses alot of water, and
if you can't get to it right away, just keep it submerged in a small tote
till you can clean it. When I'm done with it, I use 1tbsp bleach/gal water and soak an hour. Then use a pro dechlorinator after rinsing.

If you forget about it in filter, and it plugs, it could be a problem.
In my sump directly over external pumps intake is a final pre-filter.
Used there, when plugged, the pump starts drawing air. In the bio tower
water justs flows over the outside edges of the drawer. I use 3 prefilters.
But I'm not growing a ton of pods in my sump either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts