The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon saltwaterreef tank with 20 gallon refugium that I have had for two and a half years. Starting this Wednesday my fish have died one right after the other. There are no visable diseases that I can see on any fish. They have been swimming one minute and the next they have dropped dead. All levels have checked out. Ph 8.4 , nitrates 0 , nitrites 0 , ammonia 0, alkilinity 4 , and calcium 420. I am at a loss with no idea why this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,284 Posts
Did you add any new fish or corals? I'm wondering if something was added in it could have brought in a pest/disease/ something. How were the fish? Heavy breathing? Darting across the tank? You could even have stray voltage shocking them. If someone put their hands in the tank and had something on them it could've been introduced that way and killed them that way.

Sadly there's so many variables. It's going to be a long road to find what it is. Hopefully we can be here to help figure it out. Welcome to TRT. Wish it was under better conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing new was added. The fish were swimming just like they have always been. The is no stray voltage. They were breathing normally.

As of right now I have lost the following:
Yellow tang, naso tang, star blenny, ocelleris clown, royal gramma.

Flame hawke, coral beauty, and six line wrasser are all the fish that I have left

As soon as the first fish died I started running carbon just incase there was an ammonia spike, but I tested the water before and after I added carbon and all the levels came out to the above numbers and my salinity is holding at 1.021.

One of the guy at my LFS said it could be the 2-3 year tank syndrom where everything just dies and you have to start over again. But the has to be a reason right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition when each fish died it was early in the morning or at night and I was literally standing right infront of the tank when each fish dropped dead and when I removed them each fish looked like it had diffent things wrong with it

Yellow tang looked like it was bleached out and had a pinched stomach
Naso tang had small black dashes on it
Star blenny looked liked his stomach sunken in but was solid every where else
Clown fish looked like he was skinned evey scale was off and he was bleached out too
Royal gramma had a dark mark above his side fin it looked like he was punched in the side with a fist, but a really small fist.

All fish were eating up until approx. 12 hous before they died. Then like clock work they dashed to the bottom of the tank and laid on their side now struggling to breathe and maybe five minutes later they were dead. After the first two died and I noticed this the rest of the fish didn't die in my main tank I scooped them out and put them in my QT that had nothing in it which i filled with my main tank water so as not to shock the dying fish anymore and that's where they died with in ten minutes. I don't know if this helped my main tank but I didn't want the other fish exposed anymore then they were already.

I am so confused
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,284 Posts
Personally I've never heard of a 2-3 year tank syndrome. Something had to have happened to have lost fish. I'm wondering if there was some bad food? I know I lost a few fish due to bad squid. Kinda at a loss here hope so done else can chime in.
 

·
I've got the REEF rash!
Joined
·
61,660 Posts
Spray anything in the room,like Febreze or maybe put your hands in the tank without gloves and have something on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Sorry to hear about your losses. The concave bellies sounds like starvation but if you're feeding them that shouldn't be the case. Hope you're able to save the last few. :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,623 Posts
I would say you may have had a Systemic Infection of some sort.
This would make some sense if there were no visible signs.

Could have been caused by a short spike in your water chemistry. (Nitrite, Ammonia, ect...)

Sorry to here of your losses, it is a feat to age a tank then loose all your fish..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
They are dying at night or first thing in the morning, sounds like a oxygen problem. Are your powerheads turned towards the surface? Make sure the water surface has lots of disturbance.

Also how often are you feeding? Sunk in stomachs sounds like they are not getting enough to eat, you might want to add some frozen brine, krill, Mysis, etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,375 Posts
You may have a couple of problems going on.

How often, and how much, water do you change?
How often, and how much, food do you feed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have plenty of surface disturbance I have been running the eco tech power heads set on the radom reef setting for almost two years. I feed nori morning and night and three pellets per fish every other day. All fish were eating normally up until they day they died. In the begining I fed moore pellets but they went un eaten.

I do a ten percent water change once a week and I use RO water that I make up in advance. The make up water is kept in a clean room that is accessed only by me since my room mate can't go up or down steps. I use Tropic Marin pro reef salt and have for over two years. I don't add chemicals the live rock, sand, and refugium keep my levels normal. I have two test kits that I use each week and every two months I have my water tested at my two local fish stores. I have a touch of OCD but everything has checked out fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Sounds like an internal parasite or infection of some sort. Were the fish ever quarantined and treated with prazipro before putting them in te display tank? Do they have long stringy poop? You could use prazipro now in your display as long as you don't have any ornamental worms or feather dusters. Might be worth looking into. Otherwise maybe take the remaining fish out and put in a hospital tank and start with prazipro. If they still get skinny with that then it could be an internal bacterial infection. Metronidazole would probably have to be used then in a hospital tank, but not at the same time.
 

·
Aquatic Beginner
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
If you feed frozen bloodworms they can have weakened strains of velvet... we got it andwe hadnt added anything in quiet some time before
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As of today my remaining three fish look good and are still eating and acting like normal. This is the longest I have gone without a fish dying since this all started with the first death a week ago. Three days and counting.

To answer the above questions:

Were the fish ever quarantined and treated with prazipro before putting them in te display tank? Not since they were introduced to the tank two and a half years ago.

Do they have long stringy poop? No
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top