The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 225 gal BB tank,with 110 gal sump. Water parameters are PO4 0, NO3 0,calcium 410, Alk 3.34, Mag 1350. I do water changes every two weeks,using TM Pro,and RO DI water. The amount of water I change out is 50 to 80 gal. I have a super large skimmer ,with a 13" dia.X 48" tall reaction chamber . The pumps are three Sedra 9000 NWs ,and it is set up as a RC skimmer . I have a Mag 7 as a feed pump. My return pump is a Sequence Hammerhead.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One AC 14 K 400 watt in the center ,and two XM 10 K . One on each end . They are about 4 months old each . Also have four 6' VHOs actinics,and they are about 7 months old. I don't think it's the lights.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Ted, you have something releasing what the algae needs.

I know how meticulous you are about keeping your tank clean, so I would think rocks. You didn't say where you are getting the algae at either, but I still guess rocks. ;)

Sometimes rocks are real porous, big holes, that fill up with detritus that the rocks should be shedding. Take a tooth brush and scrub the algae off. Then take a turkey baster and blast those places real good to flush them out.
It might take a time or two, but when you get it the algae doesn't come back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jerel, I will take your advice. This started with two changes to my tank. #1 I was given a Moorish Idal,and I had to feed more often
#2 I got some rock from the same tank that the Idal came from. The algae started on that rock ,but it has spread to my other rock as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
what type of algae?? can you post a pic..
I had several friends that had a problem with hair algae and they tried everything and the only thing that worked for one guy was AZNO3.
One guy just tossed all his LR and started over..

·
Registered
107 Posts
ahttp://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additives_azno3.asp?CartId=

With the test kits we use you can get a reading of 0 and IMO still have some po4 or no3 in the water. The algae is using it to feed keeping the levels low enough and we just can't pick it up with our test kits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts