The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the LFS today and told him I had red Cynao On my sand. He tried to sell me some super expensive "cynao be gone crap" which I wouldnt buy. I told him that I was told cynao is caused by Bad water source, infrequent water changes, and lack of flow. He says that all of that is wrong and that cynao needs good water quality and goes in areas with to much flow :rolleyes: He says that lowering nitrates and phosphates will make it come more. Then he says that the cyno will extrangulate my coral if I dont use the medication he tried to sell me.
Whats right and whats wrong?

Next I talk to him about removing my bio balls. He says that remoring the bio balls will crash my tank and kill my live rock even if done slowly. He says that They dont produce nitrates and that wet dry filters are excellent in converting nitrayes into free nitrogen gas. I told him what Geoff said that The bacteria which do that go in oxygen free areas becuase they are anerobic and wet dry filterrs do that bad becuase the gasous exchange from the trickling. He said thats crap.

WHOS WRITE AND WHOSE WRONG!!! I NEED COMPLETE EXPLANATIONS!!!!!! BEFORE I LOOSE MY MIND!!!! :nuts:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
We are right here. I removed my bio balls two months ago no crash here. I did like five per day. I will let others weigh in on the cyano

Fred

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I would shop for another lfs. If cyano were caused by good water we would all have cyano infested tanks. I know when my phosphate went up I got a cyano bloom.

·
Premium Member
14,535 Posts
John the thing to remember is here no one wants to sell you extra special extra expensive miracles in a bottle you also have the experience of hundreds of reefers to help guide you

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
john, go ask that same guy a question that you KNOW the answer too. something that is not "up for debate" and such. tell him you have a 20 gallon tank, with about 15 pounds of live rock, and tell him you want to buy a mandarin. or ask him if a panther grouper would be ok in a 55 gallon, something along those lines, but about something in his store. dont confront him if he lies to you, just know that you cant trust him.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I have some snake oil i would be happy to sell you too... it'll cure what ails you. the guy is full of bs in the end. Cyno like dirty slow water... enough said about that. When i finally came to the light i removed all of my bio-balls at once and the tank didn't skip a beat. If the region is not anoxic then it will not process nitrates, period. Tell your LFS guy to join us in the era of enlightenment.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That's sad... that he has to take advantage of his customers.
I ask people here and do research on the internet, then go to a LFS. I may ask them about something but, I go with what I hear here and read on the net. I also have a couple of LFS that are super people - one lady will not sell you a thing if it isn't compatible with your tank.
For instance: I took a newbie to this store, he wanted to add some clean up crew critters the first week he started his nano, she wouldn't sell him anything until he had the tank cycled. That's awesome! IMO He could of spent the money, they probably would of lived but, she knew that cycling the tank is vital time and nothing 'should' be added at that point.
Good luck with your next visit to that store.
P.S. This ladies store is a sponsor for this forum.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That's sad that he has to use people like that.
I ask people here and search the internet before I go to the LFS. I do have a store that I totally trust - she won't sell you anything that isn't compatible for your tank.
P.S. She is also a sponsor to this forum.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
the great thing about this site is you really sit and think about what is being said, it all really makes sense. :D

look and see where the cyano is growing the most. that will help you in figuring out who is right. ;)

a lot has changed in this hobby in the past 10+ years. unfortunately some places it is taking a bit of time to catch up to all of the recent theories and practices.

you could have asked the person how they think the bacterial cycle works. not to be confrontational, but to see if they can make sense of the situation.

G~

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got rid of the bio-balls, thanks to advise from this forum, this was key in getting my nitrates finally under control. As for the cyano, I tried 'natural' ways to get it under control but nothing seemed to work for me. I finally succumbed to using Chemiclean, haven't had a problem since. By no means am I advocating the use of chemicals, in my case, it was the last thing for me to try. I had been combating cyano for months before using this.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
good husbandry and good water flow with a strong skimmer will do the trick. Ive also had success with astrea snails eating the stuff too. Just remember that you might be able to get rid of it but you should find out why it happened in the first place

1 - 20 of 29 Posts