The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that having a good skimmer is probably the most important piece of equipment in your tank. I was wondering what kind is everyone using. I will be in the market pretty soon and was leaning towards a asm g3 for my 75 gallon. The other ones Ive heard about are the aquaC and the MRC. So what are you guys using? Any regrets?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,653 Posts
On my 50G tank I am running an MRC MR-2, I love it, but remember that with a beckett skimmer the feed pump is very important. I reccomend a GenX PCX-55 to drive it.

On my 15 gallon, I run a TurboFloater 1000, ehhh it's ok, but there are a number of design changes I would make, especially since I am using it on a BB tank.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I have a Euroreef that will go on my sons 75 and it is a great skimmer. For my 150 I have an MRC MR-2 with the Gen-X PCX55 pump, an extra beckett and an 8" riser extension. Havent used it with the secon injector or extension yet but the MRC skimmers are excellent. The thing about them is that if you upgrade or decide you want to add more power, you dont have to buy a new skimmer. Just add on to the MRC. A very good feature that saves alot of money. They cost a few bucks but are meticulously made, great customer service and just a great skimmer.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Look at the pic of mine, the middle section of the main chamber is an add on. It also comes with 1 injector and additional injectors are $85 or so. Adding the second injector increases the amount of bubbles, the addition of the riser extension creates longer contact time for more efficiant skimming.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
They do take some tinkering to get used to. Also the silencer for the air intake on the injector has a cotton ball in it that will get dirty easy and quickly causing the air to be reduced. That is an easy fix though with some ingenuity you can come up with many options to make a large silencer that wont get dirty quickly.

Robert

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
also have the MR-2. The cotton ball is also the only gripe I have with it. And I just went to Lowes, and for about $2 I got a 90° elbow and an extension to point it up and farther away from the water. Now I only need to change it once a week.

Other than that...I can not be happier with the product. AWESOME quality (this thing is mean! thick acrylic that feels indestructable and well put together). Great support (early on, I was confused. Andy, MRC owner, was MORE than helpful and quite patient with me).

And as Robert mentioned...the ability to upgrade (add on extensions, extra beckets, more pumps, etc) was a HUGE deal to me. As it's nice to know that while I paid a bit for this one...when I set up my big 330 tank, I don't have to toss it. I just pay a little more, and suddenly have a MEGA skimmer! HUGE plus in my book.

also as Robert mentioned, does take some slight tinkering at first. But once you get used to the equipment, it's pretty much hands off. Just change the cotton ball from time to time (or if you don't mind the noise, just take it out all together), and some minor adjusting from time to time (only to adjust skimming more efficiently), and that's it.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME piece of equip.

It's no Deltec or anything (but close, IMO)...but it's not priced like one either!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
afbengochea said:
nice setup, just wondering if you got those gate valves with unions online or at a local store. That would help on making room under the tank for me
Thanks for the compliment. When I get the electricaal and central air ran to the new tank room Ill have a new thread going as I reset the tank. The skimmer will be set up to be in an almost re-circualting situation based on the pump placement and the baffle set up in the sump. The DIY acrylic you see above is going to be my sons and I am using a 55 I got from Doug as my sump.

Robert

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the quick responses, you helped out a great deal. especially with the pics. Thats the reason I love hanging out at this site. My g/f is getting into fish now but she hangs out at the r**f c**tral site and lets me know whats going on there. Its like a soap opera over there, but im sure its very entertaining.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts