The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you there were out there.
I run T5 lights on both my 20 and 60 tank, and I just love them. On my 60 I run 6 bulbs, so 3 Odysea 2 bulb fixtures, on the 20 I have 2 Odyssea 2 bulb fixtures.
Since the addition of my 3 fixture on my 60 tank, a small have inch frag of orange monti has grown considerably.
Did I mention that I love my T5 lights.

So who else out there has T5s and loves, or hates them (if that is possible) ?

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
Run them on a 155 bowfront (8-60" long bulbs) It works great, I get growth out of my sps on the sand, clams, and everything is happy. Cut the elec bill and lowered the tank temp, lost my shimmer. Not that I really miss it that much, the light is brighter and growth is very good.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nyles said:
Run them on a 155 bowfront (8-60" long bulbs) It works great, I get growth out of my sps on the sand, clams, and everything is happy. Cut the elec bill and lowered the tank temp, lost my shimmer. Not that I really miss it that much, the light is brighter and growth is very good.
do you do individual reflectors also?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I run them they are only a couple of weeks new on the 36" 55 gal tank I had to modify the canopy a little but the light that i get is AWSOME.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I am interested in seeing some pics of tanks using only T-5 lighting...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xtopher said:
If you want to see an amazing tank run just off T5's go to www.hausriff.ch the whole thing is german but you get to see a picture of the guy's tank. It's beautiful BTW
I was looking for that link to post here. That is a very good example of a T5 system.

Considering how inexspensive it can be to put together a T5 light setup, it is kinda worth it to give it a shot.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I run a Tek T5 4*54 light over my 55g, and I love the lights. I have great growth from all of my SPS, even my acro. Small 1" frags will become small colonies in a matter of months. These lights are a great alternative to the downsides of MH lights. Add to the fact they take less electricity, and produce little heat and LAST 18 months or more.....and you have my choice.

I don't have any updated tank shots, but will get around to it some day...

·
Registered
616 Posts
:) I just bought some and I really like them. There is much more growth in my tank and they weren't very expensive. They are only NO, but have made a huge difference. I plan to get some more.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cobray said:
:) I just bought some and I really like them. There is much more growth in my tank and they weren't very expensive. They are only NO, but have made a huge difference. I plan to get some more.
If you got the HO bulbs, I think that you would see an even bigger difference. That is if you have corals that require alot of light.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm running an 8 bulb 640w T5 fixture on my 125g tank. It has awesome intensity and is fairly cheap on juice. I only run 4 actinic bulbs about seven hrs per day and all 8 tubes for my tanks peak five hour period.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
moondog2001 said:
I'm running an 8 bulb 640w T5 fixture on my 125g tank. It has awesome intensity and is fairly cheap on juice. I only run 4 actinic bulbs about seven hrs per day and all 8 tubes for my tanks peak five hour period.

Dave
Nice setup, what type of fixture do you have? Is it Nova Extreme?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am running Aquactinics T5 setup with 14 bulbs and so far it is really great, I will see when my first electrixc bill comes, as I have only been in the house 1 month and the light is 2 weeks old

·
Registered
39 Posts
BGJ223 said:
Nice setup, what type of fixture do you have? Is it Nova Extreme?
It's a Catalina Ultralight. Very sturdy and well built. Unlike a lot of T5s it's made in the USA. Only $550 shipped! Take that all you MH lovers.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts