1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Of the choices for the $10 extra I'd go for the autotopoff.com one vs. having to assemble the aquahub kit.

Except for the osmo one, they all use the reed style float switches so I don't really think one is better than another in that regard as the likelyhood of switch failure is probably just the same.

The fancier controls on the reef fanatic or jbj don't do anything for me and I wouldn't pay extra. I just want the functionality.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Regardless of the cost, for my piece of mind the best is the good ole' Kent. I have had to many electronic float switches fail.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
For sure. Float switch ( even double ) doesn't take the place of other redundancy plans you should incorporate into your topoff solution. But float switch in combination with a dosing pump/timer and limted water supply can be a very viable solution. However, it's a shame people put too much reliance on float switches for sure they are usually the weak link.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Regardless of the cost, for my piece of mind the best is the good ole' Kent. I have had to many electronic float switches fail.

Having been a fan of the old litermeter and never ever having a problem with it as there was no mechanical parts in the top off switch portion as it worked off vaccum. It woked like a champ and IMO is the best solution for redundancy as it is metered dosing with a pretty fail safe switch that you don't have to worry about failing in the on posistion. However dollar wise the kent float valve that is gravity fed is about the best you can get for value and performance IMO. That is how I am setting up the new tank's topoff system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts