The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering Who lives in Houston TX. We have a chance to move there if We want to. Everything paid and done for us, What is it like and cost of living , Schools and of course the hobby and stores there. How long of drive to water the gulf that is. We are just thinking about if for now. It is hard to dicide on this as we have been here for 4 years and have settled in and finally gotten adjusted to Wichita. Any info will help.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess no one know anything, I was thinking we had more members in that area. We more then likely won't make the move, It You compare the cost of living here and there. I think it offset any gain to be had. Still like to know alittle from people that live in area ,

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I know houston is not near the gulf but I don't know how far.

·
Super Moderator
27,074 Posts
Hardhead Cat is from Dallas, but she might know something anyway.

Years ago my sister lived in Houston. When I visited her, we did a day trip to Galveston that was a piece of cake. So it's not too far from the gulf. But you might want to check about the infrastructure. Last year when Katrina hit, it was difficult for people to get OUT of the city. Your wife might know more about that. Didn't she work down there after the hurricanes, Vinnie? Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She still is working on the clean up, It is just alot more money if we move there. But I know the cost of living is higher. We are just thowing the idea around for now, One of the main reasons we have a hard time moving is the kids, They are doing so good here in school and have friends, Kristine and I grew up moving and never had the life long friends that You get if you grow up in the same place all your life.

·
Super Moderator
27,074 Posts
That's a good point for your kids, Vinnie.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
I've driven in Houston quite a bit, but not lately... the traffic is UNREAL everywhere. It's a good distance to the Gulf. I didn't live there.
Great Mexican food everywhere. Hot and humid in the summer... I wouldn't choose it b/c of traffic and weather. But... your situation might be different.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well It is hot and humid here , But I don't like traffic, We are thinking it may not be for us. I'm just not a big town guy anymore. I would love to be near the gulf but thats about it, I love the smell of salt in the air. Thats why I love Florida.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
The traffic in Houston was worse then New Orleans (where I lived for awhile) and worse by far than Indpls, which is getting really bad, and the manners of the drivers was the worst of the worst.

That's jmho, but I'd not be choosing that of all the big cities there are to choose from.

A friend of my brother's, from a very small town, took a nice transfer there... had a nice place to live, and hated it. He returned within about 5 yrs I think.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Kristine may get the Houston Job, But they are trying to work things out to where she can stay here and do the job here, We will see, We pretty much made up our minds not to make the move. Time will tell. See what they come up with.

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
If you haven't already, you should set up a profile and post this question on the Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston (MARSH) Website:

http://www.marshreef.com/

From what I have heard, MARSH is one of the largest reef clubs in the US, if not the largest. It seems that reefers everywhere are a friendly bunch, so I would imagine that they would be more than willing to talk about what it would be like to live there. Good Luck!!!

- Michael

VWD said:
I was wondering Who lives in Houston TX. We have a chance to move there if We want to. Everything paid and done for us, What is it like and cost of living , Schools and of course the hobby and stores there. How long of drive to water the gulf that is. We are just thinking about if for now. It is hard to dicide on this as we have been here for 4 years and have settled in and finally gotten adjusted to Wichita. Any info will help.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks I will do that, I am also hoping to go ther this Sep. to meet some people.
goodfortune said:
If you haven't already, you should set up a profile and post this question on the Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston (MARSH) Website:

http://www.marshreef.com/

From what I have heard, MARSH is one of the largest reef clubs in the US, if not the largest. It seems that reefers everywhere are a friendly bunch, so I would imagine that they would be more than willing to talk about what it would be like to live there. Good Luck!!!

- Michael

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I have travelled there on business a few times. The weather is unbearable and the traffic is a nightmare. For four times my current salary I would not live there.

The Mexican food however is really good and they have a couple of steakhouses that are good as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts