The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a Dart or larger reeflo pump. I have been told they crap out after 6 months to a year, getting loud or not working all together. Can dart/reeflo users please share your experiences so I can make the right decision between a Reeflo or Dolphin

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Hmm I have a Sequence Dart on my return It's been running since Oct 05 with no problems yet. It was highly recommended to me. I hope it keeps working

·
Registered
723 Posts
Maybe that was the case with the older models but I hear they have made some nice improvements with the volute housing and the saltwater seals. I have two brand new ones awaiting the arrival of my new tank, so I sure hope they hold up for me!

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for the input. Should I get the dart or the hammerhead? 210 reef and I want it to run my return, skimmer, chiller. I can always turn my returns into drains

·
Registered
299 Posts
Beware of the low head pressure, if that's a concern to you that is. I purchased the Reeflo and my Eductors and Penductors sure aren't stirring the water around like my last Mag 24 and 900 GPH external combined were doing. I was looking at the new Quiet One 16000 pump today at my LFS. 3600 gph at 5 ft, submersible or external. It's $399, but you get what you pay for. They also make the 14000 series with a remote that controls water flow and you can power off for feeding, which I never do anyways.

·
11,345 Posts
I just purchased 2 darts and a barracuda. 1 of the darts for a sump return pump and the other 2 for cls. In doing more research I am not going to be using the one dart for a cls as, like rchull said, they are low pressure pumps, and it isnt going to accomplish what i need. But i am going for massive flow and want to use eductors with it.

Yeah, i know, i should have done the research BEFORE buying.....i thought i did, but things change

Its brand new in box. $200 shipped if you want it. I could sell it to you through the ebay console if you wanted for peace of mind. I have 100% feedback. I paid $220 for it with shipping and i think that was a decent price.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are 195.00 at my LFS, Sorry but thanks for the offer. I also think I need the barracuda so I get enough to power my skimmer

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Both are great pumps but since you are trying to run so much off of one pump I would get the cuda,it will just cost you a little more monthly in electric cost.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
325 watts, Maybe the dart is a better choice. My mag 36 is burning 380 watts and its heating up my tank too.

Whats is ment by low pressure pump? I can use a ball valve to restrict it without damage? whats the pros and cons of a low pressure pump?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I was concerned about my electric bill so I got the dart,it uses much less $$$$ to run,but im only using it on a CL 2 returns and it works great,you are wanting to run more so the Cuda would be best for you even though it is a low pressure pump it would work great,a high pressure pump like it would probably be to strong and overkill,what are you wanting the carbon for?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
PelagicMagic said:
I like carbon. I can also throw phosphate sponge in there too
:funny: ok that sums it all up for me:beer: :dance:

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the cuda won't be much of a drop in watts but it won't heat my water like the magdrive is. If its too powerful I can restrict it with a ball valve

1 - 20 of 72 Posts