The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am considering installing a simple closed loop into the 40 gallon breeder softie tank I will be setting up in the next couple of weeks after I move apartments, so am looking for a local shop to do it. Anyone know of a good reputable place?

My idea for a closed loop is a simple 1-1/4 screened outlet about 4" off the bottom center of the tank so it is hidden behind my rock. This will go into a Velocity T3 pump (around 800 gph) and then up into a single 3/4" Seaswirl placed in the top back center of the tank so that it does a 90 degree sweep across the front corner to corner.

Anyone got any opionions on a setup like that? Pros or Cons? Any advice is appreciated.

Thx
Andy

·
Registered
828 Posts
800gph aimed directly at the tank wall (on the nearest sweep) may potentially cause a wave action and splash over the sides of the tank
I had this issue with a seaswirl on my 46g

·
Registered
828 Posts
Also, make sure the intake is accessable for routine cleaning. i made this error. You just need enough room too get a toothbrush on the screen (Don't use the toothbrush after on' your teeth)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have been wondering about possible tsunamis in my tank also...if I go this route I will for sure have a valve on my output to cut down flow if needed.

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts