The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for others who have this same Montipora sp. At least that's what I think it is. I would like to see others pictures of this same coral. When I got the frag it was really brown w/ a little bit of purple to it. Now it's a very pale purple/ ice blue color. The growth on this coral is quite nice. It's the branching one on the left in the first picture, and the second picture is when I got it about 3 months ago or so.

I haven't seen anyone post pics of one like this, it looks completely different than my Digitatas..... Any Ideas out there? :idea:

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
i have one this is simulair . i thought i had pics of it but i don't . but you are right it is a montipora , just a branching type . it grows in very weird shapes and also encrust very well . mine has been "extremely" hardy now that it is established . i also find it to be moderate growing coral , so i don't think you run out of room with it too quickly . easy fragger also ! hope this helps !

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just never see anyone post pics of these. I'm curious How big and what they look like.

I agree it grows pretty eratic!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Looks like a Montipora hirisuta, otherwise known as elkhorn montipora. You have a beautiful frag there.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks! I will do some searches for that Monti then. I want to see what others looks like.

Edit: just did some searches, and that is it! Very cool, sounds like it is one of the less common Montis in the Aquarium trade. Thanks again!

Alright, who else on TRT has some pics of theirs???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts