The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
pfft
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tanks been set up since Jan. they came on a rock from the LFS like this. the centre is a very very very pale green and the centre/mouth is tinged pink.

theyre under PC's in a 29G biocube

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
i gotta tell youif there not bleached out i wouldnt mind having them in my tank.:agree:

·
pfft
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They don't close at night like my zoas they roll up when I feed mysis to them but they expand back out like my yellow polyps very soon after feeding. They aren't closely grouped and are spread quite a ways apart over the rock I bought. They are a lovely pale mint green with a pink ring around the edge of the head but the stems are totally white and almost transparent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a white Zoa, not sure exactly if this is the ones, I cant see the moutho very well. BUT be very careful, if it is the white ones they can be poisonus. They all can will give you a bad infection but some of the white ones can actually make you very very sick. Be sure to wash your hands well. I would use latex gloves if I had them in my tank until I was sure if they are the bad ones or not

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
There is a white Zoa, not sure exactly if this is the ones, I cant see the moutho very well. BUT be very careful, if it is the white ones they can be poisonus. They all can will give you a bad infection but some of the white ones can actually make you very very sick. Be sure to wash your hands well. I would use latex gloves if I had them in my tank until I was sure if they are the bad ones or not
good to know. i have some reading to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
these do appear to be white zoas, belonging to the protopalythoa (palythoa) group of zoas. anyway they stay open at night because they are continuing to feed. zoas (and many other corals) contain zooxanthellae, unicellular algae that gives the coral their color and also provides energy for the corals much like a food source does. since the white zoas do not contain these little algaes to give them color (hence the white color), or provide extra energy for the coral they must feed on food in the tank. I could go into much more detail about this whole topic but this post is long enough already i think. hope the info helps.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
I've had some of the white zoos. These are not what I had. Those look more like button polyps.

·
pfft
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks like these are pallys.
theyre colouring up with a shade of brown to them and a yellow middle and vivid yuello centre.

Ill post some pics when a few more are coloured

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Happy the hear that the palys are coloring up...thought about trying to feed them some mysis shrimp?

·
pfft
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feed all the trumpets, pallys and zoas with a fine ground up paste of mysis once a week with the tank pumps off. they seem to like it and colour up nicely after theyre fed

the larger button polyps, frog spawn, hammer, pagoda, duncans and anenome get a bit more of a chunky mix that i feed them

the xenia and clove polyps i dont target feed but they seem to be doing fine picking up whatever they like from the water column.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
I would be interested in a video of you feeding them Viler. Is their any chance of you shotting a video of this?

·
pfft
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't video it as I dont have the ability to upload so what i do is drop in a chunk of thawed mysis to distratct the hermits and I use a turkey baster to 'spray' the pallys with mysis that ive ground to a real fine paste and mixed with tank water. I use the same method for all of the target feedings, unless I use a soda bottle to cover the colony and i can drop the food directly over them without them being 'mobbed' by hermits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts