The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 45g tank with a 20g refugium setup and when I lose power or have to restart the mag 5 return pump I get a weird white stringy substance that comes out of the return to the main tank. The pluming into the tank is PVC with clear tubes running to the refugium. I can't see anything in the clear tubes and the pump has a foam filter over the intake. Any help on what this stuff is or info on if it is harmful would be great. Thanks everyone.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
I turn off my filter every time I feed to keep the filter cleaner. Every time I start it up again I see what looks like tiny pieces of white leaves coming out of the return tubes. I have never seen any harm caused by them and they are probably normal things that grow in a reef tank that would normal get eaten up by tank creatures if they weren't hidden in the return tubes.
Victor

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
it has been my understanding that this is salt particles breaking free from within the pump and plumbing. mine are a bit smaller, like grains of sand, but i get the same thing on every shutdown/restart of the pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.