The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so we have had our 75 gallon saltwater aquarium up now for about two months. We got live rock and live sand from an established tank that was being taken down. The majority of the live rock had various corals on it from the previous owner. Needless to say, we salvaged what we could. There were white feather dusters, pulsing xenia, red leather corals, and a purple coral. We let the tank cycle and then added 2 clown fish and an anemone that are all doing great. Since then we have started adding Aquamaxx Part A and Part B for the corals. Here comes the issue...
We were looking at how great everything else was doing but also noticed that a white stringy coral had also taken over a mojority of the tank. It is about as thick as a pencil lead in most places and the Part A and Part B supplements sure help it grow. We have no clue what this is, whether its good or bad, and if its safe for the fish. Please help us figure out what this is. We have a attached a few pics that were taken just today. HELP!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
See if this thread helps you

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/white-strings-growing-on-rock-158560.html

Looks/sounds like the photo listed there about 3 posts down as a sponge.

Let me ask you this, is the substance that appears to be stuck to the rock, pure white like milk, also look like rubber?

I ask because I got it on my GSP rock about a week ago and then a sponge came up in several places.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its not rubbery at all. This has been there for as long as we have had the live rock in the tank. It has only grown longer as time went on. No sign of sponge at all other than the yellow sponge that also came on the live rock. The string has always been stringy. Its so odd....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hopefully someone with a PHD in marine biology will answer you. I looked around for a little bit online for you last night can came up blank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for searching with us. Hopefully we will find something out soon. We took new pics with a great camera and are trying to upload them now but it seems we have reached our attachment limit. grrrrr :fish:

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
I think once you hit five posts you can start uploading to the gallery. Then it is limitless.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
No problem, when I joined I didn't have a clue...but for the most part people here are very friendly and helpful. You need one more post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts