The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about this slick of oil looking stuff that is collecting on the surface of my tank water. Most were of the opinion that this was a result that I have a HOT skimmer. I followed MNREEFMAN's and Jay's advice to use my PH to break up the goo, and let the skimmer handle it. Unfortunately, that method has met with limited success. Now... suspended in that slick are these little white specs. I just did a water change about a week ago. I have no idea what is casuing this or how to rememdy the situation. Any ideas and/or reassurance is definitely welcome.

The picture isn't great, but I think it gives you an idea....

Thanks....

Jason

:eek:

Attachments

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
I don't know what the spots are (proteins and ? from food?) but to get rid of the oil slick, try this. Stop all the pumps and use a cup to remove the oil. Slowly submerge the cup on a slight angle so the oil flows into the cup. Another idea is try laying a paper towl flat on the water surface to absorb the oil. HTH, Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Bob. I tried the cup trick and it worked like a charm! :)

I am not sure what causes the protiens to collect on the top of the water. Is there something I can do to prevent this, or am I doomed to scooping every few days?

Jason

·
Registered
206 Posts
I couldn't find your previous thread where you mentioned what kind of HOT skimmer you have. If it has a pump/ph that sits in the tank, you could fassion a sort of overflow box similiar to the one CPR makes for its Bak Pak skimmers. I have a Bak Pak and had the same problem as you until I bought the Pre-Skimmer.

Pre-Skimmer

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Jason,

I didnt get a chance to read the prior posts, but I have seen where people have tried to save money and use play sand, sand blasting sand and even sand from the beach and it has leached out some very nasty things, not that you did these, but it has been done before.

Also, some of the macro algaes I have tried seem to put off a film as did a tree sponge when they expired.

Just some of our misfortunes, hope it helps.

Chris and Pam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Red Sea Prizm with the surface skimmer attachment. It pulls water from the top of the tank rather than the middle. Are there any particular adjustments that you made with your pre-skimmer that solved your problem?

Jason

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris and Pam,

Thanks for the post. I don't think it could be a sand problem, but what did the macro algae look like that was putting off the slick?

Jason

·
Registered
807 Posts
I found in the past that feeding sqid will result in an oily film on the water. It was part of my blender mush for a short time. When I stopped adding squid the oil slick went away. just my .02

·
Registered
206 Posts
ibizman said:
I have a Red Sea Prizm with the surface skimmer attachment. It pulls water from the top of the tank rather than the middle. Are there any particular adjustments that you made with your pre-skimmer that solved your problem?

Jason
I didn't really have to make any adjustments. I poped it on the Rio ph and turned on the skimmer and all the oily stuff got sucked off the surface all at once. It was kinda cool looking actually. The surface has been pretty clear ever since. I don't know anything about the Prizms.

I was just looking at the Red Sea website, Prizm , and I am assuming you got the deluxe model with the surface skimmer. I still can't tell how it works but maybe you can try puttinganother ph close to the surface pointing in the general direction of the surface skimmer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...I'll give that a try. Maybe that will force some of the goo down into the skimmer intake.

Thanks.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts