The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
My own cube of reef
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a sailfin tang from the LFS. He is eating well, swimming happily, and seems fine. My yellow tang picked on him a little bit at first but now he doesn't. I was looking at him last night and he has 3 or 4 white spots, not real bright white but noticeable, on his tail fin. He also has one on his side fin on the right side but none on his body... Is this ich? Or is this just some battle scars from the tang?

All my fish are thriving and healthy, but if it is a small amount of ich do I have to treat it or will it be fine and go away... HELP!!! :2gunsfiring:

·
Do you like fishsticks?
435 Posts
Sounds like ich. A picture would help if you have one. Battle scars would be more like cuts and torn fins not white spots.

Treating it there are many options depending on severity of the outbreak. If you can quaranteen the tang in another tank you can treat with copper etc. Im not very knowledgeable on this subject so hopefully someone else can answer.

·
My own cube of reef
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I would be able to get a pic, he's only like 1.5 inches and the spots are tiny. but they're not a bright white grain of salt, they're more of a transparent white but noticeable.

The bad thing is, I don't have a quarentine tank up and running. I have a 10 gallon tank but it would't be able to hold the fish for more than a day or two because I have no equipment for it. can I take the fish out of the tank, treat it, and stick it back in the main tank? or do I have to let him stay in there for a week or so?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts