The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the saltwater hobby for a year now. I just yesterday went the the LPS and got a white sebae anemone. I don't know much about them but mine is and has been on its side mostly closed. And a couple times flipped over on its mouth. It also spawned. Can anybody tell me what to do, is it bad or how to make him happy?

· Registered
512 Posts
I recently had a similair problem. 3 issues here.

1) Theres no such thing as a white sebae nem. It is definately bleached. I had an LFS sell me one recently and even though it lived I learned the hard way.
2) Sebae is a broad term and it could be H Malu, Crispa, or Magnifica. They all require very different things. Good luck teelling while its ill.
3) We need to know what your lights are, what parameters the tank has, ammonia, mg, ca, ph, salinity etc.

How to help; Try to ID the species, its very hard when bleached, nearly impossible but a picture would help. Try placing it at the rock sand border. Depending on the species it will like either rock, sand, or both. Light it slightly more hours than you would your tank normally and feed it every 2 days.

Warning: Some Sebae's have very powerful stings, and will catch and eat most fish. As soon as it was improving mine killed a fish. It wasnt even sticky at that point and still bleached, sting wasn't max strength. USE GLOVES. Neurotoxins hurt!

Your other alternative, and my recommendations if you have anything other than clowns in that tank, is to return it for a full refund and tell the LFS theres no such thing as a white sebae.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
You do not have to return it, unless you want to. Lets not go to extremes.
Why dont you see what it does.
Maybe you can take the time to bring it back healthy and not just flush it or return it so it can be takin by another person that gives up and flushes it.
If you are scared of sting, then wear gloves, but you should not need them, as you should not be touching it.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
I recently had a similair problem. 3 issues here.

1) Theres no such thing as a white sebae nem. It is definately bleached. I had an LFS sell me one recently and even though it lived I learned the hard way.
2) Sebae is a broad term and it could be H Malu, Crispa, or Magnifica. They all require very different things. Good luck teelling while its ill.
3) We need to know what your lights are, what parameters the tank has, ammonia, mg, ca, ph, salinity etc.

How to help; Try to ID the species, its very hard when bleached, nearly impossible but a picture would help. Try placing it at the rock sand border. Depending on the species it will like either rock, sand, or both. Light it slightly more hours than you would your tank normally and feed it every 2 days.

Warning: Some Sebae's have very powerful stings, and will catch and eat most fish. As soon as it was improving mine killed a fish. It wasnt even sticky at that point and still bleached, sting wasn't max strength. USE GLOVES. Neurotoxins hurt!

Your other alternative, and my recommendations if you have anything other than clowns in that tank, is to return it for a full refund and tell the LFS theres no such thing as a white sebae.
I have to know, killed what fish? and how? did you see it happen?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would just rather return it so maybe someone else or the LFS that has more experience then I do that will have a better chance of saving it. I would hate for it to die its a great looking plant. Just isn't acting right. And none of my clowns are even paying any attention to it

· Registered
3,418 Posts
You do what you think you have to do, if you dont think you can take care of it, then return it.
My clown is just taking a little notice to my sebae, been 9 weeks since clowns introduced , it could take another 9 weeks for him to take or maybe not at all.
This hobby is not what all the books say.
I hope you have good luck in your endeveours.

· Registered
512 Posts
If you knew what species id say fine go for it. But when they are bleached AND face down, they have usually had it. Rare it pulls through but good luck and I wish you the best whatever you do.

Btw, Malus I love for the record. Just be careful it's not a crispa or magnifica. Proper fish eaters :S

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.