The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've started to notice these white sweeping marks on the inside of my tank. New razorblades do not help at all. What are these marks and is there any way to remove them? I've tried a two-sided razor blade that came with my EZ blade, but maybe it's not sharp enough? when the razor goes over these marks there is no indication that there are bumps there, it feels smooth under the razor. These marks are annoying the help out of me, please someone help.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just pulled out a new razor from the pack that I've been using and honestly they don't seem that sharp. I ran the razor over my thumb, lightly, and it didn't even break the skin. Does anyone think maybe this is limescale that my "dull" razors just aren't getting?

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my calcium is 420 and my alk is 9, perfectly respectable numbers. i noticed that is really only about 3 inches wide and the marks are all along the same vertical of the glass...so in other words there is no other spot on any part of the glass that has these, just this 3 inch wide column if you will.

It's so strange, I'm almost inclined to think it's some sort of stress marks within the glass, but I dont want to start thinking that because then I'll really be devastated.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to the store for fresh razor blades. The more I think about it it has to be some sort of lime deposit that my crappy blades are too dull to pull up. at least that's what I'm hoping.

update shortly.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to order some, nyc doesnt really sell razor blades. i found one that looked pretty new, but that didnt help much. ugh

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, why? of all the great things it offers, no razor blades is the clincher?

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried cutting a lemon in half and sticking in over the white areas. It didnt do much.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i think i had a mini breakthrough, which is that i scraped some really old coralline off a side wall and underneath was the same, white scum that doesnt come off from the normal scraper.

Has anyone else encountered white, sort of cloudy residue under coralline algae that has been there for a while? and what have you done about it?

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All these viewers and no suggestions???

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I ordered some of the sharpest razors on the market, so if that doesnt work i'm convinced it's an imperfection in the glass that has filled with coralline and it's just stuck in there. I would think that lemonjuice would have helped, but it really didnt seem to do much.

would a better picture help perhaps? I'll try a new angle.

What interesting is that if I look at the back side of the front panel of glass from one of the side views I can see these imperfections on the glass as though it were algae. The darn stuff just does not want to come off. I'm still hopeful that someone out there will know what's going on.

·
SPS'n It!
1,232 Posts
This is a wierd one.I was gonna suggest a "flaw" in the glass but seems strange that it would wait to pop up.I mean your tanks been set up for some time hasn't it? I would wait till you get the good razor and give it a try before ya freak out to bad!Wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the rest of the tank (don't forget the FTS) it sounds awsome!:drool:

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Ny doesnt have razor blades? Thats almost stranger than the mystery white spots. Im going to have to follow. Did you try a scrubby sponge made for glass. It may get into any scratches or dents that a blade might roll over.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These pics are pretty recent:

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The razor blade thing is absolutely nonsense, I have no idea what possessed them to do that.

·
SPS'n It!
1,232 Posts
Pretty decent indeed!:bigeek: Its even better than I anticipated!You have a BEAUTIFUL tank!The achillies,the sps, the..is that a large funky linkia!FRIGGIN SWEET!Love it!:drool: Thanks for the imediate response on those pics.Good luck with the glass I was also gonna suggest some type of non-scratch scrubber pad by hand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts