The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hoping for some advice. I have just noticed some white furry spots on my orchid dotty back that were not there yesterday. At first it looked like some food may have got stuck to it, but then I realised it was actually attached. White patches like fungus on the tail. I've had the fish 18 months or so.

Apart from that the fish is acting the same as always, and all the other fish look fine. I will try and get a picture later but anyone else ever heard of this?

For what its worth I have a 300litre, 2 x clowns, 3 x chromis, 4 x humbugs, 1 dotty back, 1 yellow cheek goby, one scooter draggonet and a flame fish. Some corals and shrimp/crabs. Maintenance is weekly 15% wc and i run carbon and phosphate remover in the sump, and have a separate refuge. Parameters are all normal.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
i think it is white spot disease, stress may cause it, make sure the fish eats well and don't worry

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always though of white spot as smaller spots and not large ones - any idea what would have stressed it? Ive always known of horrific white spot experiences from folk I know who lose full tanks to it :-(.

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Stress from tankmates maybe you technically have 9 damsels family fish and a flame fish is that a flame angel or flame hawk?

orchid dottyback can be aggressive but i have seen many that get scared easy when were the the fish added and how long have they been together.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry my mistake I meant a fire fish (flame angel was a fish I had considered for some time but ruled out as I wanted more smaller fish). The majority of the fish have been together for over a year. The only recent additions were the hum bugs but they are still tiny and never go near the orchid (actually I would have expected them to have got ich as they are pestered constantly by the chromis that I believed to be peaceful fish!!!).

Will the other fish all get it now? Am I right in saying there is no cure?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice/comments so far.

They are green chromis (always find it funny as they look blue!!) and oce clowns. I was aware the humbugs can be problematic so added them last and picked the smallest 4 I could! I also have lots of hide holes for them.

I have 3 MP10 powerheads, 14 hours tidal mode and 10 hours 'night' mode. Nano box LED lights with storm coralax controller - 12 hours on 12 hours off. Protein skimmer (slightly oversized), reactor with carbon and phosphate remover, HOB refuge in the sump and I dose with alk and calcium once a week. I have a medium sized sand bed and lots of live rock.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also my parameters are:
Nitrate between 0 and 25
Nitrite/ammonia/phosphate 0
Calcium 420
Alk 130
Dissolved Oxygen 7.3
Ph 8.2
Copper 0

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Can you get a pic of the fish? There are a few different things it could be from ich or other parasites to an infected injury. It's impossible to tell you how to help it and if action should be taken without knowing exactly what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to try again at feeding time to get a photo - he's always been a very timid fish who hides in the rocks until he's hungry and then he follows me around the tank until I feed him :).

It looks like it's only on his tail fins and really looks like fungus more than what I thought of as white spot.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't see anything. :( Does his tail look intact? Does it look frayed or damaged and that's where the fungus is growing? Or does is it whole with white spots on it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what I'm struggling to see :-(. At first it looked like food stuck to him - almost as if I could pick it up. Looks like cotton wool. :-/ The tail certainly isn't badly damaged but hard to see if its maybe been nicked. Its strange because none of the other fish go near the dottyback. The chromis chase the humbugs, the clowns chase the chromis but they all seem happy and healthy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone had any luck with malafix or primafix in a reef aquarium? The fish in question would be almost impossible to catch and put in a hospital tank, and my experience with keeping Discus fish for many years was the stress of the hospital tank was usually what led them to perish (when I stopped removing sick fish and treating them separately, I had much more success!). So I am looking for something that will not harm the inverts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts