The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a green chromis in my QT for about a week now and I see a small white bump on his forehead, like right in the middle of his body line, I can't recall if it was there when I first got him home. He is swimming around and eating like crazy though, anyone know if it could be a parasite, I have heard of them on the sides of fish like the belly but the forehead?

Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
If he is in the QT tank leave him in and just keep observing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So he was eating fine and swimming around quite happily and then since yesrerday afternoon he is just hiding behind the heater or powerhead or under a rock and won't eat. Is there a recommended treatment because without it he will die for sure. I have 300 bucks worth of coral coming Friday that is going in that tank, so if the treatment will harm coral he may not make it. On the other hand I could treat for 3 days, and then do a 90% water change the night before the coral get in.

Registered
No point in treating unless you know what you are trying to treat.
Still just one spot?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still just the one spot. Fish parasites cannot affect coral right? But treatments can, so i don't mean to sound callous but he was an 8 dollar fish that I bought mainly to keep the QT cycling, if he doesn't make it, I'll be sad but at this point pouring a bunch of copper or what not into the tank 4 days ahead of putting a bunch of coral in there seems like the wrong move.

Registered
copper will kill invertebrates. it would take more than a complete water change to make it safe for corals.
if there is just the one spot it is unlikely it is ich.
Without seeing it there is no way to tell what it is.
It could be an injury.
again there is no point in trying to treat the fish if you do not know what the problem is.
A photo could help.

That would be like trying to fix a car having no idea what is wrong with it. You could try replacing different parts but not likely to have any effect.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Came home for lunch and found him dead on the bottom. Water params all tested good except Nitrate maybe up as high as 10 but I doubt that could kill a damselfish. Nevertheless going to change out 75% of the water to get it down for the corals coming in on Friday. Do I need to worry about keeping the tank cycling? Maybe just drop in a pinch of food on Wednesday to break down? How long should I wait before another fish goes in to make sure if it was a parasite that its not cycling through in the water somehow?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts