The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 553 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all!!!

My old thread has issues with double posting and slow posting so I decided to make a part Duex to continue with the system.
For more info the old build thread may be found here:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/whiskeys-return-75g-mixed-reef-build-228626.html

To start things off here is an FTS of the system:
2016-10 FTS by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Here is a GIF of the progress from the beginning:

And here are some brand new photos, this time Top Down! This is the first time I have tried this and I really love it:
BlueGreen by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

CoralStaircase by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Monti by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

PinkFloyd by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Red PlanetSmall by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

RightMix by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Enjoy!
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
The tank is really looking great!

Thanks Scruffy!!!! Long time no see! How are you?

Whiskey
It's been a busy year! My daughter and I are both taking college classes. She's got at least another year; I've got until December 17. Can't wait! I do have to say it has been nice not having to deal with the tank during all of this. Still not sure if I'll set it up again, but I did end up keeping everything.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank is really looking great!

It's been a busy year! My daughter and I are both taking college classes. She's got at least another year; I've got until December 17. Can't wait! I do have to say it has been nice not having to deal with the tank during all of this. Still not sure if I'll set it up again, but I did end up keeping everything.
I know how you feel! When I took down my 180 it was a relief not to have to worry about it anymore, but at the same time I missed it almost instantly. Your doing better than me though!!! I only made it 2 months before I setup a small FW tank to fill the void.

Congrats on the College classes! I graduated with a couple AA's in Information Science earlier this year, and I'm shopping 4 year programs in business now.

Are you doing online classes? Or classes at a brick and mortar school?

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations on the Full Tank Shot Friday Winner!!!!
Thank you!!!! Thank you for the vote in the monthly contest too :D

In case you are wondering what he is referring to, Premium Aquatics does a tank of the week contest, and this week it was a great honor to be chosen:
Link to the contest results

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So! I have a fun new toy!!!!

After about 15 years of wanting one but wondering if it was worth it I finally gave in and ordered the Apex Lunar Module. This gives me the ability to control moonlights based on the real moon cycle. They not only come on and off when the moon is out, but they also have a different intensity every night based on the current phase of the moon.

The thing I didn't like about it is they only offer the moon lights themselves in Blue. I've never understood this, because the real color of the moon is about 4200K which is slightly more yellow than sunlight which is between 6500K and 5500K. I personally don't like the blue moonlights.

SO! I researched how to DIY some white ones. I found out that the LED's are just 3/4W LED's wired in series, and the controller can do between 2 and 5 of them.

I picked up the connector I needed, and some 1W LED's on star pucks so that I can glue them to my existing light bar. I wired 3 of them in series and connected them to the lunar module.

I then found this to be a bit too bright for my taste, so I used white double sided tape to make a cover for the LED's which dims them, and also acts as a light diffuser to get more even coverage.

I love it! Now my tank has real (simulated) moonlight!

Whiskey

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Hi Whiskey! With only one cup of coffee in me so far this morning the answer is eluding me.....I know you started this new thread, and I've read it.........just can't figure out why I haven't 'welcomed you to your new home'? Boy am I a smuck! Cool new toy Whiskey, and I've often thought the same thing....though there is a 'blue moon', moon light is white. i think folks using all that blue light looks cool, I just figure if'n you want moon light, why not make it look like 'moon light'? All the best,
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops! Don't do what I did!!!

Ever since firing up the moonlights I've been having weird APEX problems. The biggest of which is that my hood switch (Module 1 switch 3) would get random phantom open states that lasted only a quarter second or so. This would cause the lighting to cycle briefly.

This is difficult to troubleshoot, but after a weekend of working with it I discovered that the LED lights mounted so close to the LED bar was causing feedback and messing with various things. Even though the LED pucks were insulated from the aluminum bar it was enough to cause goofy things to happen.

Unplugging the Lunar module would make it stop.

So I've remounted the LED's somewhere else which is a bummer, but should work. I'm still working on finding the perfect spot for them.

Also,.. I think my main LEDs are almost shot. During this process I knocked a couple of the lenses off the main LED's and noticed that the trapped heat between the LED and lens has caused the plastic on the LED to break down. I may need to consider replacing the LED's soon, or maybe going over to 6x54W T5.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not hybid? Im planning on doing a sunrise/day/night simulation, much like you have done, with 4 t5s providing light early noon to evening. This will allow the leds to be run at a less intensity leading to cooler temps, which might be one of your problems.
Right now I'm running Hybrid with 120W of LED and 216W of T5, and if I do just replace the LED's I would continue to run that way. This system has worked very well for me so far.

But! I'm also considering going all T5. There's some question about LED's still lingering out there. Some people are not really sure if they provide a full spectrum of light. I do like that I'm able to have a bunch of different colors with the LED pucks, but it does make me wonder if 6 T5's would be better for color and growth.

Whiskey

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wiskey, have you used your PAR meter to see if your LEDS have changed intensity overtime? I was all in with this LED thing but not super happy myself. Only good thing is the electric bill. If I could do it over again I would just go old school MH with T5s! Kind of miss my old VHO T 12's but not bulb replacement.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OH CRUD!!!

I made a mistake.

Today Kalk jammed my mid level topoff float and caused my topoff to dose about 5 gallons all at once until the emergency float activated. Normally this wouldn't be too big of a deal,.. it only lowered the salinity a tiny bit in a ~100G system, but with fresh kalk it raised the PH to nearly 9 and caused a bunch of Kalk powder to be added directly to the system since so much water was pumped through so fast.

The emergency float did it's job and saved me from a flood or worse damage, but the corals are not happy right now.

The Damage:
My Stylo, and all the huge Birdsnests are in the process of RTN. Tissue is literally flaking off in huge chunks.

What I'm going to do about it:
Very little. In the past I've done more damage by over reacting to a situation like this then the situation itself. Here are the actions I'm going to perform tonight.

1. Remove the makeshift Kalk reactor and rinse it out, flush the topoff line to clear out kalk from that, and remove all the powder sitting on the surface of the sump.

2. Mix up 15G of new salt water for tomorrow. That's the max I can reasonably do at one time.

3. Make more RO/DI to replace the 15G I used to make the salt water bringing me back to 50G on hand.

4. Ensure the skimmer is running well, and watch closely.

I may need to tie my hands behind my back because for me doing nothing is the hardest thing of all, but I firmly believe that it is the lowest risk move right now. Thankfully I had that second float.

Right now my PH is 8.7 and falling, 5 hours ago that second float shutdown the topoff pump. I'm hoping that by tomorrow it will be down to 8.2 or less.

I may not add Kalk again, if I do I may mimic a TOTM I saw once that added topoff water only if PH was lower than 8.2.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did my 20% water change today, and I've started mixing water for another tomorrow.

I tested ALK, it's at 10.5, I typically run 8 so that's a little high. I shut down the ca reactor after this happened so I expect that to drop pretty fast.

The water is still milky and the corals that we're loosing tissue yesterday were much worse today, and they continue to loose huge pieces of flesh. I just hope I can save a small frag.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 553 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.