The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 1971 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm really excited about setting up a SW tank again and I figured now was the best time to setup a build thread!!

I work in IT and LOVE electronic gadgets, so this will be a high tech build.

My wife has been very supportive of this and there is one thing that is very important if I'm going to continue to enjoy that support. The tank must be quiet. If you have any tips for sound proofing I would love to hear them.

I plan to put a back on the stand, use oversized drains, and a slow (ish) sump flow to ensure it is as quiet as possible. I will also pick up quiet computer fans, and stay away from large external pumps.

So far this is the equipment I have:
75G Tank, Stand, Hood. Currently FW, will be torn down next weekend.
(anyone in the San Diego Area want some awesome driftwood, plants and fish?)
APEX controller, with PH probe
Full CO2 system with 3 tanks, will be put aside for now, but used whenever I get SPS and a CA reactor.
4x54W Tek T5 retro kit with one regular ballast and one dimming ballast.

I am seconds away on clicking "Pay Now" on an order for:
1 Tunze 6105 (May need 2 eventually)
Various plumbing parts
2 ATI True atinic bulbs
2 ATI Coral Plus bulbs
the cable to hook the Tunze to my Apex.

The plan:
Simple really, I will drill the 75G tank for 2, 1.5" drains, use elbows to drain the water from the tank like I did with my old 50G. This means no tank space wasted with an overflow. The overflow will be only 200-300 GPH so I anticipate skimming the water's surface fairly well with this, and each drain will handle the flow with no problem providing good redundancy.

I will have a sump of 20-40 gallons (not sure yet), the water will drain right down to the skimmer, there will be either a fuge, or a bubble separation/settling area (not decided yet) then the sump will be on the end.

There will be an apex Auto Topoff, it will use typical float switches, with a "high level" switch that will set off an alarm and text message if the first switch fails, or if the return pump stops pumping for any reason.

The return will be drilled in the center, I plan on 1/2 because at 300gph that is plenty. The Tunze will provide most of the in tank flow, using the Apex as a wave maker, and providing easy feed mode.

I have a RO unit already for my FW Shrimp tanks, but will need to get the DI added onto that. It is also used for in home drinking water so pluming will be a bit of a trick, because the DI will only be for the fish, but I'm sure I can figure that out.

I will use Instant Ocean salt because I've always loved it.

The next step after the system is tested will be to buy about 80-90 lbs of live rock and start the cycle. If you have any tips of the best places to get LR I'd love to hear it.

Here is the 75g as it sits now (or rather a couple months ago):
DiscusTankWeb by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Comments, advice, tips, or general hanging out welcome!
Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Welcome Back, Wiskey!

Looks like you have had some life changes since you were here last.

Sounds like you have a good plan for the tank. Looking forward to seeing its progress.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still brewing but it's been awhile. Need to get back at it though.
Thats cool, making the wine for your wedding.
Right on!! Has it been a while because it takes longer to drink than brew? We have that problem right now. Do you still have a tank? How is it doing?

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Back, Wiskey!

Looks like you have had some life changes since you were here last.

Sounds like you have a good plan for the tank. Looking forward to seeing its progress.
Scruffy!!! Yeah! Awesome to see you here as well!!! Man I missed this community. Are you still keeping reef tanks?

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Scruffy!!! Yeah! Awesome to see you here as well!!! Man I missed this community. Are you still keeping reef tanks?

Whiskey
I am! Take a look at the build I did after you were out here last (link in my signature). I went way outside my comfort zone with the stand and tank.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am! Take a look at the build I did after you were out here last (link in my signature). I went way outside my comfort zone with the stand and tank.
I checked it out and posted, Amazing job on that stand! You did really great job. I love the shelf idea as well, I had a flip out shelf on one of my early stands and it was the most useful thing I ever built into a stand.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wiskey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another reefer back from a dry box state.

G~
Geoff!!! Awesome!!!! Not quite the dry box, but unsalted for sure,.. and if you've ever had unsalted tortilla chips you know that it's just not the same.

You are the perfect person to help with my noise issue, I know you've designed plenty of complex overflows. My biggest fear with this build is splashing noises. My wife hates the sound of running water so I need to make this overflow as dead silent as possible.

Ideally I would like to have 2 bulkheads in the top corners, with 2, 1.5 inch elbows acting as the drain. 1.5 inch pipe would run down to the sump, and the return would be low flow, no more than 300 GPH.

Do you think with the big pipe and slow flow it can be made to be quiet? I had this setup on a 50G once and it wasn't loud, but I find the running water sound to be peaceful so it wouldn't bug me as much.

Thank you,
Whiskey

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
WELCOME BACK!!!!

Holy crap! This just made my day! You helped me out so much when I first was starting into the hobby! I took a few year hiatus and have been back for a few years. Glad to see you back around! I am excited to see this build come together!!!

Subscribed!

Your FW tank is beautiful! If I ever get out of salt I would likely dabble in the planted tank realm of the fresh water world!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow. Leave that one as is and get another tank!!! Im in vegas and if I lived closer i'd take you up on some of the fish and stuff.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Whiskey welcome back my friend. Always good to see my fellow discus man back in action.

Well i will be enjoying some whiskey tonight to celebrate your return. Maybe bust out the Crown XO.

Haha have a good one.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
Hi Wiskey! Never had the pleasure, but have seen many useful posts
and helps you've posted. Great to have ya back.

That discus tank is AWESOME!!! Looks so much more difficult than a reef tank.
I would be lost and crash that soon after I got behind the wheel.
Your show piece of Malaysian wood is a spectacular piece. :thumbup:

Are you running exterior pumps? If so I have a splendid idea for isolation
that FatTony was impressed with. He, Eric and G helped me a lot with my overflow.
I can do supplies all day, but suck at overflows. Scruffy and Earl
collaborated on the C2C BA overflows and both love them. Seems to be the
safest way to silence, I just go Herbie method and silent as a feather myself.
Paul

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WELCOME BACK!!!!

Holy crap! This just made my day! You helped me out so much when I first was starting into the hobby! I took a few year hiatus and have been back for a few years. Glad to see you back around! I am excited to see this build come together!!!

Subscribed!

Your FW tank is beautiful! If I ever get out of salt I would likely dabble in the planted tank realm of the fresh water world!
I thought that name looked familiar!! What is up TRD? Have you seen my Jeep?
JeepJump by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Do you have a tank up and running right now?

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. Leave that one as is and get another tank!!! Im in vegas and if I lived closer i'd take you up on some of the fish and stuff.
Haha! I think that's one reason the wife is onboard with the bigger tank, she doesn't want to see our house looking like a "Fish store". Bigger is not a problem, but quantity is. So when I need more space I'll just have to go for a 240 :idea::dance:

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whiskey welcome back my friend. Always good to see my fellow discus man back in action.

Well i will be enjoying some whiskey tonight to celebrate your return. Maybe bust out the Crown XO.

Haha have a good one.
Hey hey Blazend!!! That's the spirit! (or spirits that is), Crown is a fav of mine too!

Cheers! :beer:

Whiskey

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I thought that name looked familiar!! What is up TRD? Have you seen my Jeep?
JeepJump by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Do you have a tank up and running right now?

Whiskey
Yeah, I changed screen names when I came back to the hobby. It was snow_man84088...

Nice! I haven't ever jumped my truck! :lol:

Yeah, I just have a 29 Gal. Biocube up and running right now. It is all I have room/time for (even that is debatable). I am looking to upgrade my lighting and throw in a better skimmer to see if I can't get things rollin again! I think most of my issues are due to neglect and lack of maintenance.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Wiskey! Never had the pleasure, but have seen many useful posts
and helps you've posted. Great to have ya back.

That discus tank is AWESOME!!! Looks so much more difficult than a reef tank.
I would be lost and crash that soon after I got behind the wheel.
Your show piece of Malaysian wood is a spectacular piece.

Are you running exterior pumps? If so I have a splendid idea for isolation
that FatTony was impressed with. He, Eric and G helped me a lot with my overflow.
I can do supplies all day, but suck at overflows. Scruffy and Earl
collaborated on the C2C BA overflows and both love them. Seems to be the
safest way to silence, I just go Herbie method and silent as a feather myself.
Paul
Hello Paul! Great to meet you and welcome to the fun! :)
I do have an Iwakia external pump that does 700gph, but it's a flow pump and not a pressure pump so the plan was to put that one away, it's also too much flow. I may re-evaluate that though so I'd love to hear your isolation idea.

I've heard great things about the Bean Animal overflow that Scruffy did, I was hoping to get buy without all that space in the tank taken up but if that is a sure fire way to silence I'm willing to consider it.

The Herbie method is another great idea, it uses a similar concept to the Bean Animal style where you balance the flow on one main drain then have an "emergency" pipe. The only difference is you only have 2 pips vs 3. This is another good option that does basically the same thing, but also requires fabricating an overflow box.

That extra work is well worth it if it keeps the wife happy! Thank you for the suggestion :)

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 1971 Posts