The Reef Tank banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hey Whiskey.....want to come on out and chew the fat with us tomorrow night at 9p EST? We'All took a week off and feel a wee 'chatty'. :ROFLMAO:
Hack
Is tomorrow today or tomorrow? Let's see, you posted this 17 hours ago, which means about 10-11PM yesterday in my time zone, but depending on your time zone that could have been today or yesterday. If it was yesterday, then tomorrow is today, but if it was today then tomorrow is still tomorrow. Given that you are giving this time in Eastern timezone it's most likely that you posted it very close to midnight. So that doesn't help.

I feel like I'm in the spaceballs movie.
It's Now Now. Everything that's happening now, is happening now. Well go back to then! I can't! Why not? You missed it. When!?!:! Just now.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I have an update on the tank. I've noticed a few things since setting it up.

First, the controller issue. I ordered a 2016 head unit for it and installed that yesterday. It's working great! But the form factor is not even close to the same, and it doesn't fit on the controller board. For now I have it temporarily mounted but I'm going to have to do some very creative wood work to put it where it should be. This will also require that I rebuild the topoff system.

Regarding the topoff system, I love that it's perfectly quiet, but hate that it only holds 2 gallons. That was fine for the 10, but on this 25 with a 10G sump I'm getting much more evaporation. The other issue is that when the topoff container gets below half way it's sluggish to topoff, plus I will need to make it smaller if I want to move the controller board to fit my controller. All that being said I'm thinking about something new. I'm thinking about making an acrylic ~1G container that I will place where the 2.5G one is. I will have a float switch at the bottom as a warning, and the top as a full indicator. This will topoff all day and night to keep levels stable, and at Noon every day a Pump will kick on to fill it! I think this will be the best of both worlds. Then I can put 30 gallons of water under my bed if I want and I don't have to mess with it every week.

Finally, Heat. I have a 100W Heater which is supposed to be preset at 78, it's not. It's preset at 75.5 apparently because at night even though the apex has it on all night it settles out there. I would prefer the tank to be at 77 as a low so I have ordered an adjustable 100W heater to replace it.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
My tank is set at 77 and stays between that and 81 though out the day. Most our fish and corals come from shallow reefs and from going to the Caribbean and seeing first hand how temperatures change though out the day I don’t worry.
my seahorse tanks stay about 75 to 76 most of the time but may jump to 77 or 78 at times.
i would like to put a chiller on the seahorse tank and keep temp at 72-74

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I redid the topoff! Filling it weekly was just way too much work, and I often travel for a week at a time so not a good fit. It was also in a risky spot to slide in and out because of where I had to mount the Apex controller.

I made this acrylic box (Acrylic work is not my strong suit)
67408738791__20397DF0-514F-439A-BFAF-97AEE2870385 - Copy by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

You can see the float on the top there is to detect when this is full, if the one on the bottom ever triggers something is wrong and I'll get an email or text.

The BRS Peristaltic pump is in the back of this photo behind the drawer, it will fill the container every day for me during the day when I'm not sleeping, and the gravity feed topoff is consistent and dead silent.
IMG_2589 - Copy by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

These are the two (so far) Jugs with water, and you can see the sensor for keeping track of their level. The 5G is easily swapped out and filled, and I could put 200 gallons of water under that bed in those 5G cubes if I really wanted to.
IMG_2590 - Copy by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
Smart idea on you top off system. My reef using probably 12 to 15 gallon of top off a week. I just have a five gallon bucket and hate having to refil ever other day.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Smart idea on you top off system. My reef using probably 12 to 15 gallon of top off a week. I just have a five gallon bucket and hate having to refil ever other day.
Right?!?!? For the big tank my topoff reserve is a 40 Gallon brute trash can, and when I fill that all I have to do is open a valve because I pulled RO line through the attic.

That's allot of water if I had an issue, but I purposely used a parasitotic pump to move the water so it would take days of running 24/7 for that to flood the sump. Literally.

For this tank which is much smaller I have a virtual outlet called "Top Enable" which is on for 20 min per day. That is the time window the Parasitotic pump is allowed to run which fills the top up holding tank. If the mechanical float fails it will only dump 1.5 gallons, if the float switch on the reserve tank fails, the most it can pump is about 0.5 gallons per day.

Whiskey

61 - 70 of 70 Posts