The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
When I installed three reef tanks in a gentleman’s club, I also installed 5 table tanks in the VIP section. I could see a nice reef tank in the middle of plush seating View attachment 243385
Super cool VWD!!!
The plan for this tank was to have it look like it's coming out of my bedside table, but my 135G will have seating around it, and I'll be doing something similar. When I do the carpentry around the base of it I plan to have a bar like what you are talking about. Almost like a dinner table with a tank taking up the whole middle. I'm not sure how wide the bar will be, but probably something like 6 or 12 inches so I could eat at it.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Enough to get back in the game Doug? Com'on now, We'z all doing 'something new' on here.
Hack
Pay for shipping, or take a spin over here, I know where there's a 210 that can be had for a song n a dance.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
Yeah! Some combo of these is sure to work. They have tutorials on how to make things like sand filled coasters, I'm sure if I follow that same thing but poor deeper it has a chance. I'm excited about this!

Whiskey
I just saw a video of someone who poured a cube to remember their dog. They took a clump of hair and mixed it in a small cup first with the same pour as the rest of the piece then added that to the pour once the level was at where they wanted it. I am sure sand mixed first then put in would work.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Ohhhhhh MAN, Y'All let Whiskey off way too easy...... :sneaky: .......

A nice bottle or 3-4 of Scotch, and a few glasses for our new found get-to-gethers.:unsure::cool:

NOW Y'All can go back to being serious......
Hack
This is why VS needs to allow us to make site merch again. Of we are gonna meet weekly for such an event we should have the proper glasses. Mugs for the training table too

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just saw a video of someone who poured a cube to remember their dog. They took a clump of hair and mixed it in a small cup first with the same pour as the rest of the piece then added that to the pour once the level was at where they wanted it. I am sure sand mixed first then put in would work.
Yeah, I've seen people mixing epoxy with sand then putting that in and pouring over, I've also seen people dropping the sand into the epoxy. Either way they have said that the bubbles will be really bad so you have to stay there basically until the pour has started to cure popping bubbles with your torch.

I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I'm thinking that I should pour this over some kind of backing, like 1/8 ply or something. I'm also thinking that I should build the sand almost all the way up toward the tank, and taper down to a thin layer at the edge. We are all snowed in right now so I can't do anything but dream for a couple days.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This is why VS needs to allow us to make site merch again. Of we are gonna meet weekly for such an event we should have the proper glasses. Mugs for the training table too
YES!!! I would love a TRT Whiskey glass!!!

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
I like a TRT coffee mug, lost mine in the flood.

never did anything with epoxy like that, but I know people do fantastic work with it on tables to make it look like water

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It begins!!!

I ordered $200 worth of Epoxy supplies yesterday, and I already got the sand. I was speaking with a couple people who have messed with this stuff before and I'm going to try doing a test pour or two before I do the large bartop. I'm thinking a couple coasters or something.

I am going to pour the sand in epoxy and add it in like it's a paste first, then let that dry or set before pouring the water, and I will likely do the water in 3 parts, first a thin bottom, then the sand, then half, then top it off. We will see, but that's how I'm going to do the first test. I will also test out having a piece of wood under the sand beach section to give me some way to bolt this down.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
If the sand thing works out you might be able to incorporate that along the river banks of the table at some point in future pours. This is gonna be cool Sir.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So,.. This project has stalled just a little bit. Apparently my Epoxy exploded all over a delivery truck and I ended up having to reorder. The good news is that I found a sale price on the 1" super clear epoxy by Liquid Glass so I'll save about $45 for my trouble at least.

The tank continues to plug along, it's just cycling and has a few snails and a few hermits in it. Algae is in full swing.

Whiskey

21 - 40 of 70 Posts