The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've been working on a replacement for my 10G Bedside LPS reef, although that tank has done really well, it was never built to run the way it does now, and maintenance is a huge pain. This tank will replace it, access will be much better, and it will have a nice bartop for charging my phone and a glass of water, plus it will have the mechanical filtration that has been a constant headache in the existing system.

Here is where the project started, a friend had a Waterbox 20G AIO tank with a shattered back. I got it for a great deal, and started turning it into the tank that I wanted it to be.
Automotive design Floor Gas Flooring Automotive exterior

The next step was to get all that glass I don't want out of there:
Rectangle Wood Composite material Gas Fixture

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I cut out all the filtration, I now had to do something to replace it. I chose to go with a 10G sump. We will get to the Sump later, but for starters I had to drill the tank:
Azure Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Flooring

Output device Wood Rectangle Grey Gadget

I opted to go with a Ghost Overflow, and decided to drill a return hole as well for a clean look:

Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas Font Metal

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now to the sump. I wanted to use glass baffles because silicone bonds to it better than acrylic, but the glass shop couldn't cut the shapes I needed so I went forward with Acrylic. I haven't done this before, but I decided to build in a filter sock holder.

On the sump the water flows into the part beside the filter socks so that I can keep a full syphon drain, then it flows through the sock, and into the skimmer section. Skimmers for a tank this size are very small, and I left myself way more space than I will use. The next section is a Fuge if I ever need it, it won't be used initially except for bio blocks or live rock. Finally the sump area is as small as possible to keep Salinity as stable as I can with the ATO.
Rectangle Wood Material property Tints and shades Font

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stand! I've been working on the carpentry for this for a while actually. This is built to exactly match the cabinetry in the home. Never mind the top, it will be covered with whatever I decide to cover it with. My vision for all this is to make it look like the tank was rising out of the cabinet. I had planned to use white quartz around the tank, but since it's a bedside tank I'm not sure a color that reflects light that well is ideal. I am open to ideas for the 4" bartop around the tank, I haven't decided exactly what that will be yet.
Wood Rectangle Floor Table Flooring

Wood Flooring Gas Machine Rectangle

Rectangle Wood Gas Hardwood Composite material

Kitchen appliance Home appliance Cabinetry Floor Major appliance

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canopy!

I wanted a sleek modern look to this system and that meant a lower canopy. I didn't want to use open top because I will have moon lights and didn't want them shining in my eyes at night. That meant I was not able to use the existing AI Prime because I wasn't able to get the light spread I needed this close to the water. I opted to build a LED light without lenses that would cover the area better. I'm not looking for super high PAR in this tank, more like 150 at the top, so high power is not required.

This is what I ended up with:
Blue Purple Interior design Gas Flooring

Purple Window Office supplies Gas Electric blue

Water Pet supply Wood Fish supply Fish

In those photos you can see that the tank is setup and cycling. I have had it on an old desk in my fish room for a month now to get the rock back to being live.

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally we get to where we are now. The tank is on it's new stand, the bartop is not done (let me know if you have ideas!) and the sump is running. The pump I'm using is garbage and needs to be replaced, and once the tank get's it's feet under it then I will move it into my room and start moving coral over from the 10G.

I will also be making a cover for the back section to hide the overflow. It will attach to the canopy and bar inside edge with magnets.

Blue Purple Table Interior design Floor

Furniture Blue Cabinetry Wood Floor

Whiskey

Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
Man, you do outstanding carpentry work Sir. You know what I think may be cool given the configuration is a bar top that matches the substrate somewhat to give the illusion the bottom extends outward from the tank towards the bed. Just my thought. You would have to make a "bottom" then pour clear (or lightly colored blue) epoxy over it.

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice work . I wish I had good carpentry skills. I鈥檓 a great mechanic, but a carpenter I鈥檓 not.
Thank you! It's funny because the only reason I took up woodworking is because I couldn't find the stands I wanted for my tanks lol. I've only ever purchased two stands, but I've probably purchased 40 tanks.

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, you do outstanding carpentry work Sir. You know what I think may be cool given the configuration is a bar top that matches the substrate somewhat to give the illusion the bottom extends outward from the tank towards the bed. Just my thought. You would have to make a "bottom" then pour clear (or lightly colored blue) epoxy over it.
Thank you!
That is the COOLEST idea I've heard yet!!! Man,.. I didn't even think of that! It's an especially good idea because I'm planning to make my coffee table, side tables, and everything out of epoxy river pours! This would fit right in!!!

I haven't done a epoxy pour yet, but this would be an easier start than mixing in live edge wood. Great thought!
Whiskey

Super Moderator
I figured if you used some sand and scattered a few shells or something, maybe even a few small peices of rock for interest then poured it it might look cool. I can't figure out how to get the rock to take the epoxy though. I'd be worried it would have air bubbles in it. Glad you liked the idea though!

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured if you used some sand and scattered a few shells or something, maybe even a few small peices of rock for interest then poured it it might look cool. I can't figure out how to get the rock to take the epoxy though. I'd be worried it would have air bubbles in it. Glad you liked the idea though!
I'm not sure either, sand might also be a problem. I was thinking that I could maybe do a small pour and then put the sand in and layer it. I don't know, but I've seen people that do this with coasters and things so maybe I'll find instructions for that and apply it here. It only needs to be an inch thick so that's easier to experiment with than something 4 inches thick like a table could be.

Whiskey

Registered
Geoff made a fake sand bed for the last tank he set up on here. You can probably use a variation of that method if you can find it.
I think he poured the substrate into the epoxy but am not sure.

Super Moderator
I wonder if mixing the sand with epoxy first like mortar and spreading that then pouring the 鈥渨ater鈥 on top would work.

you could always make a 4x4鈥 acrylic cube for a test pour and make yourself a paperweight of a mini reef tank if you wanted to practice.

Administrator
Ohhhhhh MAN, Y'All let Whiskey off way too easy...... :sneaky: .......

I am open to ideas for the 4" bartop around the tank, I haven't decided exactly what that will be yet.
A nice bottle or 3-4 of Scotch, and a few glasses for our new found get-to-gethers.:unsure::cool:

NOW Y'All can go back to being serious......
Hack

Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
When I installed three reef tanks in a gentleman鈥檚 club, I also installed 5 table tanks in the VIP section. I could see a nice reef tank in the middle of plush seating
Purple Automotive lighting Entertainment Building Drink

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder if mixing the sand with epoxy first like mortar and spreading that then pouring the 鈥渨ater鈥 on top would work.

you could always make a 4x4鈥 acrylic cube for a test pour and make yourself a paperweight of a mini reef tank if you wanted to practice.

Geoff made a fake sand bed for the last tank he set up on here. You can probably use a variation of that method if you can find it.
I think he poured the substrate into the epoxy but am not sure.
Yeah! Some combo of these is sure to work. They have tutorials on how to make things like sand filled coasters, I'm sure if I follow that same thing but poor deeper it has a chance. I'm excited about this!

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ohhhhhh MAN, Y'All let Whiskey off way too easy...... :sneaky: .......

A nice bottle or 3-4 of Scotch, and a few glasses for our new found get-to-gethers.:unsure::cool:

NOW Y'All can go back to being serious......
Hack
That's a different bar top ;)
I have fairly limited cabinet space, but one of them is dedicated to just this.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 70 Posts